Thread: Help! .243 FMJ required

Help! .243 FMJ required

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of some .243 non-expanding ammunition in the Aberdeenshire area? I've tried a couple of RFDs who are looking into it, but I'm looking at a contingency. I don't reload (yet) as heads are easier to get hold of, so I need ready-assembled rounds.
    Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of some .243 non-expanding ammunition in the Aberdeenshire area? I've tried a couple of RFDs who are looking into it, but I'm looking at a contingency. I don't reload (yet) as heads are easier to get hold of, so I need ready-assembled rounds.
    Thanks
    David
    I would try either Anderson guns on the Hardgate in Aberdeen or Sloans of Inveruire. Both these guys have sourced ammo for me in the past, albeit expanding ammo, but might be worth a shot?

Atb

Dave

Thanks - Sloans looking into it, none in stock at Andersons.

if it is for target then A-maxs?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Yes - for a competition. Are these readily available? There doesn't seem to be any non-expanding .243 in Aberdeenshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Yes - for a competition. Are these readily available? There doesn't seem to be any non-expanding .243 in Aberdeenshire.
    sorry just reread your original post, do you have to use non expanding? if so I think you are going to go down the home loading route,as .243 is primarily used here for game so the likely hood of a shop carrying factory fmj in .243 seems low.the Amax bullets are considered non expanding so can be posted, then all you would need is a friendly reloader and range time for load development easier to see if you can use expanding or borrow another rifle.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Yes they will need to be non-expanding - I may be able to get disspensation, but unlikely. I have my .308 for which I do have FMJ so I may use that for the whole competition, the reason I was looking to use the .243 as well as it has a heavy barrel os cooling not such as issue.
    Just waiting for the club to do a re-loading course, then I'm going in feet first! My local RFD has .243 FMJ heads so I may beg someone to make some for me...
    Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by u32dw View Post
    I.... but might be worth a shot?

Atb

Dave
    is that supposed to be funny

can you not order online as non-expanding? next day delivery from bushwear or such

Amax is good stuff, but would not stabilise in my 1:10 twist 243. Worked well when I put a 1:8 twist barrel on. Regards JCS

Thanks all - sorted now - got all the bits together and assistance with reloading.
    So looks like I'll give reloading a 'shot' sooner than I expected....