Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy longer base screws for rem 700 / cf2

Where to buy longer base screws for rem 700 / cf2

I'm trying to fit a weaver rail to my Bsa Cf2. I'm in need of some slightly longer base screws, as the ones off the original bases are too short and the rail didn't come with any. These are the same fitting as the Rem 700 and I think they are 6 x 48 thread.
    Where can I buy some from in the UK without having to buy unnecessary superdouper custom ones or will a fastener shop have them ? Midway don't seem to sell them.
    The front ones need to have about 8mm of thread and the rears about 11 mm, though longer ones to cut down would be fine.
    Cheers
    Last edited by lincolnjefferies; 14-06-2012 at 17:13.

better of taping them out to 3-4 mm do it all the time

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply - You are probably right in the long run, but the threads are fine so would like try to find some standard ones first. Are they a commonly UK used engineering thread size or are they rare ?
    Cheers

6-48 are an American fine thread I have always seen in their firearms industry.
    Brownells in the USA sell them in all lengths but posting to the UK might be a pig.
    Tapping them out to an easily available metric fine thread IMHO would be the best option and any engineering shop can do it - if you stand next to your firearm then it is legal as it is supervised (cheaper than gunsmiths will charge), or try to get a local model engineer to do it for you.
    martin

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnjefferies View Post
    I'm trying to fit a weaver rail to my Bsa Cf2. I'm in need of some slightly longer base screws, as the ones off the original bases are too short and the rail didn't come with any. These are the same fitting as the Rem 700 and I think they are 6 x 48 thread.
    Where can I buy some from in the UK without having to buy unnecessary superdouper custom ones or will a fastener shop have them ? Midway don't seem to sell them.
    The front ones need to have about 7mm of thread and the rears about 10mm, though longer ones to cut down would be fine.
    Cheers
    Try getting someone to countersink the rail so that the current screws can be used? Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    6-48 are an American fine thread I have always seen in their firearms industry.
    Brownells in the USA sell them in all lengths but posting to the UK might be a pig.
    Tapping them out to an easily available metric fine thread IMHO would be the best option and any engineering shop can do it - if you stand next to your firearm then it is legal as it is supervised (cheaper than gunsmiths will charge), or try to get a local model engineer to do it for you.
    martin
    Thank you Martin, sounds good advice from one who knows, will hang on a bit first just to see if any standard ones turn up.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Try getting someone to countersink the rail so that the current screws can be used? Good luck. JCS
    Many thanks - I had considered that, should be possible at home with a drill stand as its aluminium rail, but it just sounded too loose a way to go about it. I'm aiming to bodge less as I get older ! No doubt it would work though.

Measure your screws for length and tell us what that is and how much longer you need and we can have a look at what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Measure your screws for length and tell us what that is and how much longer you need and we can have a look at what we have.
    Hi Brithunter,
    Any help would be gratefully recieved - The front two need to have about 8mm of thread and the rear two about 11 mm, though longer ones to cut down would be fine. I've plenty of british mount screws, but the only american ones I have are off vintage steel Weaver El Paso Texas mounts which are a different thread.
    Cheers

Damn that's long for mount screws. But will have a rummage through my boxes and drawers tomorrow but I am not sure I will have any that long. Some of the receiver sight screws are longer so will have a look there first.