Thread: Anyone seen this before?

Anyone seen this before?

I was out rabbit shooting the other night and shot this doe crossing a grass paddock with its mouth stuffed full.As I looked through the scope I could see it was carrying straw but on closer inspection noticed its mouth stuffed full with its belly fur , obviously ready to line its nest before giving birth.

I have never witnessed this in nearly 30 years of rabbit shooting, has anyone else witnessed this?

I don't know how it was able to breath as its mouth was literally stuffed full!! :o

Was she pregnant or milky? be off to build her self a nest or reline an existing one by the look of it.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Was she pregnant or milky? be off to build her self a nest or reline an existing one by the look of it.

Cheers
    Pete
    Pete I know why she was doing this as stated but just wondered if anyone else had seen it..

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
    Pete I know why she was doing this as stated but just wondered if anyone else had seen it..
    Sorry Foxhunter I dont think I was paying enough attention

Have seen rats and mice carrying nesting material but never a rabbit

I can see rabbits across the valley and have often seen the does coming out of the bury, grabbing mouthfulls of grass and taking it down below. Rather more unusual was many years ago I saw a doe coming out of the bury, laying in the grass and giving birth, she then picked up the kit and took it down below, she did this three times. I had never seen it before or since. Very odd.

Interesting discovery!

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
    I don't know how it was able to breath as its mouth was literally stuffed full!! :o
    Don't they normally breathe through their nose? I think they can breathe through the mouth but generally don't.

who s ground was that shot on poacher