Tracking shoes, a useful tip

barongcw

Ever since I have had the new type tracking shoes that have the cleave behind fastened by a jubilee clip or 2 I have struggled with these clips.

It takes me, but I am clumsy, at least 5 minutes to fit the cleaves properly. A pain in the neck. Screwdriver slips in my finger etc.

I have now experimented with Cable Ties. Time of fixing two cleaves less than one minute.

The type I use are sold by screwfix, product number 66422, black Cable ties 450mm * 9.0 mm in packs of 100.

I find them ideal.

Kit might contemplate selling them with his tracking shoes.

Ever since I have had the new type tracking shoes that have the cleave behind fastened by a jubilee clip or 2 I have struggled with these clips.

It takes me, but I am clumsy, at least 5 minutes to fit the cleaves properly. A pain in the neck. Screwdriver slips in my finger etc.

I have now experimented with Cable Ties. Time of fixing two cleaves less than one minute.

The type I use are sold by screwfix, product number 66422, black Cable ties 450mm * 9.0 mm in packs of 100.

I find them ideal.

Kit might contemplate selling them with his tracking shoes.

Good idea barongcw
I made my own scent shoe a couple of weeks ago and the cleaves attach to the back with bolts so I needed a spanner to thighten. I changed these to bolts with wing nuts and it works perfect.

The problem with the shoes is they are only designed for Red and Fallow. Fitting Muntjac into them is a pain! I am going to make a filler to place in front of the cleave. I don't just use the larger species as I want the dog to track any deer.

Great tip ,Georges. Will give that a try next time i use the shoes. Those Jubilee clips are a pain.

Tracking shoes a useful tip

Good Idea George maybe I'll have a look at getting a job lot.

BUT new style waidwerk shoes now have a back bar and wing nuts. that's the good news .the bad news is that they are a bit more expensive than the standard jubilee type

i have been using cable ties for quite some time on my tracking shoes , and i didnt think of mentioning it because i assumed everyone had already thought of it !

i have been using cable ties for quite some time on my tracking shoes , and i didnt think of mentioning it because i assumed everyone had already thought of it !

You were ahead of me there.

What I found very interesting that during a trail my daughter's hound stopped to show me one of the ties that had broken. That seems to confirm that verweisen is in the blood of HS. If that is true it will save a lot of work.

Good Idea George maybe I'll have a look at getting a job lot.

BUT new style waidwerk shoes now have a back bar and wing nuts. that's the good news .the bad news is that they are a bit more expensive than the standard jubilee type

Kit, will they be available as spares to retrofit the old style shoes?

Lee, thanks for your tip, works on Roe up but no good for Muntjac!

You were ahead of me there.

What I found very interesting that during a trail my daughter's hound stopped to show me one of the ties that had broken. That seems to confirm that verweisen is in the blood of HS. If that is true it will save a lot of work.

Georges, have you done any verweisen training yet?

Back