Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator advice

Moderator advice

Afternoon all,

I currently have an ASE northstar mod on my Sako .270 in 14x1 thread. It is a cracking mod and does the job well but with me being the impatient sort I am considering a change to a lighter unit.

Can anyone advise/ recommend a lightweight mod? over or in front of the barel not a major concern really ~ within reason.

Thanks very much.

Dave

I have a over the barrel wildcat pred 8...fairly big and chunky but strips down and thus far (touch wood) no complaints.

One thing I have found with thinner mods is the they tend to heat the barrel up a lot quicker and although may save on weight actually make such a small difference that it isn't noticeable.

Got an atec maxim myself, nice and light alloy moderator but with stainless baffles, it is what i would call semi- reflex cos it goes back over the barrel a good bit but has a little bit more up front than some.
    Very pleased with it. Doesnt change the balance of my rifle noticeably.

I looked at the cmm4 which is even lighter but is muzzle mounted and crucially for my choice has ally baffles which will suffer gas cutting if you shoot a fair bit through it. Mind you there are a lot of people who only get through a box of ammo a year so care less about the wear and tear than me!

Well spotted. It was this newsletter that got me thinking.

I looked at it an wondered if it was a bit wide accross the diameter (lamping glare from the scope mounted lamp). May have a look at them though.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Latest mod to arrive on the scene ?
    http://www.swillingtonshootingsuppli...ND-MODERATORS/

Neil.

Thanks. Do you mind me asking how much one of those would cost?

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Got an atec maxim myself, nice and light alloy moderator but with stainless baffles, it is what i would call semi- reflex cos it goes back over the barrel a good bit but has a little bit more up front than some.
    Very pleased with it. Doesnt change the balance of my rifle noticeably.

I looked at the cmm4 which is even lighter but is muzzle mounted and crucially for my choice has ally baffles which will suffer gas cutting if you shoot a fair bit through it. Mind you there are a lot of people who only get through a box of ammo a year so care less about the wear and tear than me!

I think I paid 230

As above, i use an atec Maxim on my .270 and very pleased with it,

I have Atec Maxim on .308 and .243 - excellent noise reduction and good balance