Thread: perruque heads and breading

perruque heads and breading

Are deer who have a perruque head in someway hampered from breading. I find it interesting that testicular damage causes deformities in the antlers; which raises a question - Is this natures way of showing the females that this male will not produce offspring? Do females tend to avoid those males with a perruque head and are they shunned more readily by males?

I have seen stags act "differently" around switches, but would assume that is more to do with self preservation.

Your thoughts please.

Wills

Have heard that perruque bucks are usually infertile and the perruque is often a result of testicular damage and/or abnormal hormone levels.

Its testosterone that governs the antler cycle, the reason peruque heads form is because the deer is not producing testosterone or is not producing enough testosterone to reah the point where the antler and velvet ceases to grow and is then stripped off etc, at a guess I would say if they are not producing enough testosterone to have a normal antler cycle then they probably are not able to breed.

Cheers
    Pete