Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the perfect factory rifle

the perfect factory rifle

you know how every time someone buys a rifle, it's "how do I improve it, change the stock, pillar/glass bed it, change the trigger, etc. etc. etc". If you don't buy a factory rifle, it's "which barrel, which smith, which action, which trigger, etc. etc."

why can't you just buy a factory rifle that is 'perfect'? ie. a good quality wood or non-injection molded stock that properly fits and floats, is glass and pillar bedded, has a great trigger, a durable finish, a cracking barrel and sturdy action with a smooth classic turn bolt cycle, a good stock fit, and a 0.5moa out of the 'box'....

I really cannot see why no one knocks such good quality out,,surely sauer, mauser, blaser and sako are 'as close as you get', but none of them actually 'get there'..

makes sense?

80/20 rule maybe - it would cost significantly more to get just a little bit better.
    The manufacturers you mention have created a 'fit-for-purpose' product that nearly gets there but is good enough for most, but also an excellent platform for those perfectionists who want to perfect it?

You could it was called the Sako 75

Things and times change. When I started out with a rifle there were precious few choices. We got what was available, got some ammo and enjoyed!!
    We knew very little about ballistics, barrel lengths, twist rates etc: and just got on with using the rifle and although it is a very long time ago I seem to remember shooting quite a lot of things with the rifles.
    Sometimes a little (or lot) of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by devonfoxer View Post
    plus 1 on the sako 75
    got one, and couldn't agree more,,,yet, it's not perfect, that trigger could be crisper, that stock sits 'just a little too close' to the barrel when consecutive days in the rain are on the cards, the bedding area could have been re-enforced a touch...mind, I love mine and it 'is' a cracker :-)

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Things and times change. When I started out with a rifle there were precious few choices. We got what was available, got some ammo and enjoyed!!
    We knew very little about ballistics, barrel lengths, twist rates etc: and just got on with using the rifle and although it is a very long time ago I seem to remember shooting quite a lot of things with the rifles.
    Sometimes a little (or lot) of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    you are very right, sometimes being blissfully ignorant is the best,,,the best rifle for what you describe that sits in my cabinet is my BRNO Mod 2 .22LR

k95 attache,super accurate,a joy to carry,stunning to look at,and quietly admired....
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    you know how every time someone buys a rifle, it's "how do I improve it, change the stock, pillar/glass bed it, change the trigger, etc. etc. etc". If you don't buy a factory rifle, it's "which barrel, which smith, which action, which trigger, etc. etc."

why can't you just buy a factory rifle that is 'perfect'? ie. a good quality wood or non-injection molded stock that properly fits and floats, is glass and pillar bedded, has a great trigger, a durable finish, a cracking barrel and sturdy action with a smooth classic turn bolt cycle, a good stock fit, and a 0.5moa out of the 'box'....

I really cannot see why no one knocks such good quality out,,surely sauer, mauser, blaser and sako are 'as close as you get', but none of them actually 'get there'..

makes sense?

if you think the the sako 75 was good try a 461

Most decent modern rifles will out shoot you and most other people, especially in a stalking situation. How much better do you want? Any better is surely wasted?
    I've got 2 sako 75's also!

If you are concerned about accuracy and use your rifle in the rain, why on earth have you got a wooden stock?????
    If you want something that is 'fit for purpose', it might not always look as nice as it could.
    I normally use a stainless synthetic sako 75 which will shoot sub .5 moa which is more than I can off sticks, gates, tree stumps, at low light within a few seconds!
    You are the weakest link - Goodbye!
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 14-06-2012 at 22:16.