Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Cattle

Shooting Cattle

I've done this on a few occasions on different farms over the years ( usually at the Farmers request !). I've used rifle and shotgun. I'm curious as to what others use gun wise, load, shot placement etc etc.

Looking forward to your answers.

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    I've done this on a few occasions on different farms over the years ( usually at the Farmers request !). I've used rifle and shotgun. I'm curious as to what others use gun wise, load, shot placement etc etc.

Looking forward to your answers.

JR
    Jroe, I would hope it is at the farmers request !!!! he might be a bit cross otherwise.... made me chuckle though

Anything from a .22 rimfire upwards will work. The normal placement is at the intersection of two imaginary lines, drawn between each ear and the opposite eye.
    Last edited by Z-Plex; 15-06-2012 at 09:34. Reason: clarity

Z-Plex's positioning spot on.Over the years in both horse and cattle have noticed the larger the calibre the less kicking when they go down.My normal revolver was ex service .38 but on one occasion abroad shot a horse injured in a road accident with a .458. It when down and didn't move.

z-plex is right as to positioning as someone who has worked in slaughterhouses most cattle are stunned in that spot
    cattle are shot with a humane killer which normaly works off a .22 blank and do kick for quite some time before BSC we were allowed to use a peth cane which was inserted into hole stun gun had made and was pushed down into spinal canal and worked in and out to speed up the kicking process thus allowing us to work on the animal quicker this process is now banned.
    we had to destroy some cattle once that had gone virtually wild and were a danger to people and the vet present wanted us to shoot them in the side of the head so as not to damage the brain stem as this was going away to be analised due to cattle being over 30 months , this shot positioning wasnt realy suitable
    we now always shoot in the front of the head with something like a .243 and never realy have any problems
    cattle lend themselves to this shot position as they readily stand and look at you, unlike deer which have a head up stance looking down their nose at you cattle normally have nose down presenting a fairly easy target
    i hope this helps
    regards andy
    Last edited by cwd; 15-06-2012 at 15:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Plex View Post
    Anything from a .22 rimfire upwards will work. The normal placement is at the intersection of two imaginary lines, drawn between each ear and the opposite eye.
    Agreed. Done loads (in Australia) with .22LR.

None got up but not a pleasant task 'cos they seem to give you a knowing look.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Hi. Have done all the domestic stock breeds over the years , all with consent of farmers , vet's police, etc, Placement depends on situation , type of animal , distance etc. Prefer to brain shoot if possible .22lr HV for Pigs- Lambs, Brain on cattle, horses, 308 win , also for heart shots just got to remember if they are pumped up with adrenalin they don't always drop straight away. The trick i found is to pick your shot it can be interesting with a pissed of bull in the middle of a 40acre field of stood barley . Regards WIDU.

TO STRIVE. TO SEEK. TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

Hi John,

I used to get asked quite often when I was keepering, generally cattle stuck in peat bogs which the crofter/farmer couldn't recover.

.270 in the back of the head was my chosen method. I also used to shoot seals for the bag net fisherman and again the .270 did the trick a seals head bobbing about in the sea is a tricky target from the top of 150ft cliffs!

Years ago when I worked in a slaughterhouse we always used a 410 for the bulls as the frontal boss was a bit solid for the humane killer.
    Out in the field for close up cattle I use a 28 bore, if doing this always remember not to put the muzzle against the head, about 2 inches away is OK.

Agree with other posters. .22 will do, though I prefer a shotgun. Getting the angle right is important. This from the British Cattle Vets booklet:

"In cattle, the brain is situated high in the head. The target area is in the middle of the forehead at the crossing point of two imaginary lines drawn from the eye to the base of the opposite horn. The muzzle of the gun should be held at right angles to the skull so that the shot is directed through the cerebral cortex and into the brain stem."

The humane slaughter association does an excellent booklet on firearms for humane slaughter.