Taking my rifle on a shooting holiday to Canada

Seanpaul

Chaps,

I'm going to Canada in September and want to take my .300 wm & ammo with me. I have a port of embarkation on my firearms cert for the rifle. I have had correspondence with the department of small business services and they weren't a massive help. What do I need to do this end and the Canadian end?

Many Thanks

Sean

Chaps,

I'm going to Canada in September and want to take my .300 wm & ammo with me. I have a port of embarkation on my firearms cert for the rifle. I have had correspondence with the department of small business services and they weren't a massive help. What do I need to do this end and the Canadian end?

Many Thanks

Sean

Ask the provincial area your going to for there requirements ,at this end phone the police at the airport that way they will tell you the requirements this end hopefully with the minimum of disruption to yourself .

Seanpaul,

I know that in British Columbia you just go up to Customs, pay your $25 and get a temporary permit. This allows you to buy ammunition and rifles:)

Stan

Hi Sean,
I haven't travelled to Canada before with firearams, but many times to the USA with both shotgun and centre-fire rifle.

You will need an airline approved case which will need to be aluminium framed with suitable locks. I have never bothered to take ammunition as certainly in the USA it is as easy as buying baked beans in the UK, and whilst you can carry ammunition up to 5kg I believe in a seaprate secure container, it was easier to buy over there. You can just turn up to a range, pay $8 and zero your rifle on the new ammunition. Is there any obscure law that prevents some calibres from being used in Canada just as in France - knowing there is a strong Frencg connection in Canada?

In terms of documentation to take out of the UK, I spoke to each of the airlines at least a week before travelling to see what their procedure was - and they are slightly different so check with your carrier bfore you go. Some want you to notify them in advance of the type, make and calibre, but BMI for example just said to turn up a bit early to complete the paperwork. There was no requirement to get a temporary export licence, notify my local firearms department, notify the destination country or get import documentation.

On arrivala at check-in, show your FAC and prove to the check-in staff that the firearm is unloaded, and you sign and date a declaration card that is kept in the case with the firearm. You complete the paperwork, which was given to me at the check-in desk, which you fill out with FAC certificate details, flight details, destination, return details, ammunition (if applicable) etc. You keep the top copy, a copy is attached to the luggage label on your gun case and the other copies are kept by the airline - I believe one is kept at hte departure airline and one goes with the aircraft to the destination airport. Worthwhile arriving a bit earlier to allow plenty of time.

Check if you need a non-residents hunting permit for the state you are shooting in Canada, I did for the state of Alabama. A 10 minute phone call before travelling with the Alabama State Conservation Bureau and I had my licence emailed to me.

Do you have a Canadian who can assist and ask the questions over there?

At the arrival airport declare that you have a firearm and you will be excorted through the red channel for immigration and customs to check you paperwork, which will include FAC, airline documentation and local hunting licence.

Also check about moderators if you were planning to take on - in the US you need a special permit to posses and anyway, in the state of Alabama they are not lawful to use when deer hunting.

Coming back was effectively a reversal of going out.

I appreciate this was USA and not Canada, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what to look out for.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks very much I'll give my local Feo a ring. We have a guide over there that will sort out Canadian permits. Will post photo's if I get a bear or two!

Thanks again

Virbius has it covered... I will say though, the case doesn't necessarily need to be aluminium framed.. Peli cases are all ATA300 approved and are often much lighter (and stronger) than the old style flight cases.. especially in the case (pardon the pun) of the Peli-storm range..

Ahhh, I wasn't aware that Pelicases were approved - useful to know as they are pretty much bombproof

Ahhh, I wasn't aware that Pelicases were approved - useful to know as they are pretty much bombproof

With the Peli-Hardigg Storm range.... The airline manage to break it.... Peli replace it!!! For life!!!!! :eek:

Here in British Columbia there are not calibre restrictions other than no small bore for big game and no rifles for ducks. But I think there is also a restriction on using .50bmg, but come on, it isn't the USA. .300wsm is a resonabley popular calibre in Canada so unless you are immediatley flying directly to some smaller community on the way to your hunt you should be able to stop at various stores to pick up ammunition. Here is a link to the Canadian govt explanation of what you need to bring a firearm into the country; http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.pdf . Hope it helps/makes sense.

SeanPaul,
I've not been anywhere else other than Africa several times with rifles so can't comment on Canada. However, it is important that, when booking your ticket you ensure that you tell the ticket agent that you will be travelling with "sporting firearms". Check to make sure that it has been done. If you don't inform them it may be that they will refuse to take them, so I'm told.
Another tip: When you arrive at your departure airport, go to the appropriate airline desk and get the security process under way(they're always very helpful), so that there's no last minute rush. If you leave it until check-in, you'll be last on the aircraft and it's all a bit of a panic.
Hope that helps
Peter

Hi Sean,
You can just turn up to a range, pay $8 and zero your rifle on the new ammunition.

Dont overlook the fact that the majority of Canada is public land. You dont even need to go to a range to zero your gun. As long as you follow local bylaws then you can shoot pretty much anywhere you like. As a non resident you might need a local guide or sponsor to accompany you whenever you hunt - depends what province you are heading to and what you plan to hunt tho.

Ammo is way cheaper for almost every caliber other than some of the "europeans" like 9.3x72 etc. You can pick up 300WM for about 15quid a box in most stores so not worth bothering to bring any with you. On the flip side, might be worth stocking up and taking home as much as your FAC allows!

Hi Guys

I'm doing exactly the same as Seanpaul mid August for 3 weeks travelling to Quebec and then on to Ontario.

Has anything much changed since 2012?

Just to say that taking the rifle was easy. Turned up at LHR and went to special assistance counter. Filled out a declaration that the gun wasn't loaded and that stickers had been attached to the rifle and ammo. (Even though Air Canada had no stickers) Paid the £30 firearm handling charge.

Chap from the airport handling company showed up. Signed my Rifle and luggage with the lock box of ammo over to him.

Then went through security,

On the Airside I went to meet the handling agent at the Customs desk where I opened the rifle case in a separate room and showed the Customs Officer the serial number present on the receiver. Showed him my UK FAC.

He then had a little paddy about the lack of stickers and spent a while having a dig by phone to the airport police and Air Canada before they all agreed there were no stickers to be had.

That was that and I was on my way.

On the Canadian side after passport control I told the Customs officer I needed to declare my rifle and he directed me to the something to Declare channel.

Nice chaps helped me sort the import form. Inspected my rifles serial number and had a nose at my hunting knife. All good I went to a window and paid $25 for the import and temporary Canadian Firearms permit.

All told the Canadian side took 20 minutes.

I had bought 20 rounds with me but intend to use the 5kg ammo allowance on return as Walmart (yes Asda) had 3 different brands in stock yesterday for .300 Win Mag and at £15 a box of 20. I cannot reload the .300 Win Mag for that! To make this purchase I had to show my temporary Canadian permit.

Also saw .300 Win Mag ammo with Nosler bullets in Canadian Tire for $69.

Bought a load of Real Tree clothes in Walmart too. My advice would be not to bring camo. Coals to Newcastle!

Have been to a range "Club de Tir" this week here in Qubec. Very welcoming. Got hands on with a TAR-21 Tavor and this little lot:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440464245.943469.jpg

Handling charge?
Was that with BA?
Why couldn't the ammo just be locked in a box and placed in your hold luggage?
Is this just for Canada?

Cheers

Richard

This was with Air Canada and covers the rifle and upto 5kg of ammo and a small tool kit if necessary.

My ammo was locked in a Petty Cash tin in my luggage. My bolt and magazine was in this too.

Should also mention that a trigger lock was purchased in the UK and fitted to my rifle. These were very cheap. About £7.

For the record the Canucks I was with saw the .300 Win Mag as a bit of a cannon. The yanks using .300 Ultramag less so.

The Bear said..............
[emoji111]️

Back