Thread: Hello from the High Peak District

Hello from the High Peak District

Hi, my name is Peter Wilson and how I have missed this forum until now seems strange given my love of shooting and stalking. I came across it through a Google search on some equipment and thought it well worth joining.

I have been shooting for a lot of years now. Started at school doing target pistol and practical pistol and rifle shooting at South West Lanc's Pistol and Rifle Club when I was 14 and am now 48. I worked with a Gamekeeper during my school hols from 15 and have been enjoying stalking and foxing ever since.

I am now involved mainly in F Class rifle shooting on a competitive level and Deer Stalking locally for "the pot". I have done a fair bit of Stalking and Game Shooting elsewhere though over the years. I help some local farmers out with foxing and vermin control if asked and they in turn let me bag a few rabbits and hares and Deer in return. I hold a DSC1 and ought to have done my DSC2 a long time ago ... a bit lax on the witnessed stalks on my part but maybe being on here can change that.

Rifles I use for Stalking are many and various as I usually put my rifles down for Stalking as well as Target Shooting when I do a variation on my FAC certificate/ European Firearms Pass.

My main Stalking Rifle is a Sauer 202 Takedown for which I have a 6.5 x 55 barrel threaded for a moderator and also have an interchangeable barrel and bolt in .375 H&H for Africa and for Boar (either here or in Europe). The back up Stalking Rifle is a Tikka Lite in 300 WSM or a McMillan TAC308 which I have re-barrelled for 6.5 x 47. This last one is also my McQueens/Tactical comp rifle and has a heavier barrel profile than a stalking rifle so tends to be used more as a "static" or "vehicle" rifle. All are threaded for moderators.

For those not familiar with F Class rifle shooting we use long heavy profile barrels ( usually 30 or 32 inches ) on single feed benchrest actions. These can be dropped out of a benchrest stock and put into a tactical stock and are ideal for long range hunting/vermin control. My rifles for F Class are mainly in 7mm although I have barrels in .243AI and 6ppc which I can change for shorter range shooting. F Class is usually shot at 1000 yards but distances can vary from 800-1200 yards. The 6ppc is a handy choice for foxing and so is the .243 AI. I have 7 of these rifles in various guises.

Basically that's it for me ... although I have trained dogs for Game Shooting and Deer Stalking but don't own one now ... after the last one passed away I decided it was fairer on the dog to avoid getting another as I live on my own and when shooting abroad all my dogs have found my being away difficult.

Welcome to the site, very comprehensive introduction,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

good right up welcome on board

DJC Lancashire

Excellent intro.

Welcome to the forum. Nomadic existence saw me in Glossop and Buxton for many years, in addition to many bimbles over the Snake River and Featherbed Moss.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Moray, I live just outside Glossop on the Snake Pass and like you love to walk in the hills nearby. Lol, they say it is a small world ....

I get up to Scotland a few times a year, usually to Blair Atholl where we have F Class shoots on the Duke's range at Glen Tilt. Spent many a lovely day there ... and many a wet one too. Your not too far from Callum Ferguson's place ? Callum is a great guy and a great gunsmith ... are you connected via your Outfitting Business at all ?

Peter

I still 'visit' occasionally via google earth!

Callum is not too far away from us and see him around, but businesses not connected.
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms

Well say hello to him from me if your paths cross

If your ever coming back down here send me a PM and we can do a walk and have a pint ... first one is on me ...

Cant - no one down there understands my broad Highland accent now

Thank you for the offer.

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum, if you in glossop you be enjoying the same fine weather as me in buxton, wind and heavy rain
    Regards Dean