Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 10 year old wants a gun like mine

my 10 year old wants a gun like mine

hi my 10year old wants a air rifle like mine but mine is a theoben rapid 7 with2 x12 shot magazines and a 3.5x10x50whitetail classic scope an amazing combination i must say but he cant hold my gun very well and hes left handed too im right handed and an adult so he finds it hard to look down the scope unlike me i find it fine so i thinking of buying him a junior rifle but a break barrel although he wants a pcp is there any junior pcps on the market averaging about 6ft to 9ft pounds at present if so what shop in the uk can i call to purchase one from or do i have to get a 12ft pounds rifle if thats the case what short rifles at about 32to 36inches would be on the market today ....thanks

Airarms S200 every time. I got the T variant because of the adjustable stock and dialled it down to 7fpe. When my boys start shooting longer ranges I'll take it back up to just under 12.

If you go for a springer the Cometa 50 is pretty small and light, but can be rough and the trigger is generally awful. I also managed to find an SMK Biathlon which isn't too bad and my kids get on very well with dioptre sights for 10m.

My boy is 11 now and has started with a s200 air rifle and a .410 shotgun

Atb
    Cal

Quote Originally Posted by olivhar01 View Post
    My boy is 11 now and has started with a s200 air rifle and a .410 shotgun

Atb
    Cal
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Airarms S200 every time. I got the T variant because of the adjustable stock and dialled it down to 7fpe. When my boys start shooting longer ranges I'll take it back up to just under 12.

If you go for a springer the Cometa 50 is pretty small and light, but can be rough and the trigger is generally awful. I also managed to find an SMK Biathlon which isn't too bad and my kids get on very well with dioptre sights for 10m.
    thanks for you answer we both agreed on a bsa ultra hes tried it for lenghth and weight and he shoulders the gun fine it only shoots 45 shots in 1.77 but i have a bottle to fill it when he needs more air thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by rapid 7 man View Post
    thanks for you answer we both agreed on a bsa ultra hes tried it for lenghth and weight and he shoulders the gun fine it only shoots 45 shots in 1.77 but i have a bottle to fill it when he needs more air thanks anyway
    I was going to suggest an Ultra!! My son is left-handed, and I'm right-handed so I had the same scenario, but with the Ultra's rearward bolt, we can both operate it, the stock is almost ambidextrous, the dimensions suit a smaller frame (although he's shooting up like he'sgot sh*t in his boots now at almost 14....) and shooting from in the truck - and in .22 it's a great rat-stopper. Enjoy.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

The Air arms T 200 is a great choice as it has removable stock and comb spacers which can be added as he grows. It also comes in 2 power levels; 12 ft/lbs and 6 ft/lbs.
    My lad has one and shoots very well with it. I also have a BSA Ultra multishot tactical carbine which is a lovely short light rifle, but the stock is still adult length! It will also cost you about twice as much for the BSA. Both good choices, but I reckon he will shoot better with the AA 200 as it will undoubtedly fit him better which is vitally important! He may say it shoulders fine, but i bet his eye relief and balance is way off. Good to see him getting into it early though!
    MS

Agree S200 excellent, however sayinhgthat my youngest who is 10 has a springer, Cometa with a skeleton type ABS stock, it is an excellent little gun and remarkably accurate.

D

Just by chance on the topic I fished out my bsa meteor super the other day and ordered a 4x20 off ebay with pellets too. It's time my kids learned to shoot as the oldest is 8 and that's about right.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Just by chance on the topic I fished out my bsa meteor super the other day and ordered a 4x20 off ebay with pellets too. It's time my kids learned to shoot as the oldest is 8 and that's about right.
    If anyone fancies re-living their youth, I've got a Mk1 BSA meteor in .22 with open sights which I should probably find a good home for. Not sure what it is worth - probably about 60-70 maybe?
    MS

I've also got a tiny little Weihrauch HW25L which is a great little 6 ft/lb springer with a 4x32 mini scope on it. I'll probably keep mine for my youngest but he's only one year old! HW45 is another good little starter rifle.