Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do i need a variation

Do i need a variation

Need Help spoke to my firearms officer about reloading and not entirely sure info given was correct iasked did i need a variatin for pur hase of bullet heads for reloading as per certificate i can buy 100 and hold 120 in 243. my questin was if i want to try differnt weights how do i stand if i get visit say for instace i have in my cabinet 100 100gn softpoints heads and 100 55 grn ballistic tip heads plus 60 bullets ready to go he says not a problem so long as not made up i'm not so sure

Hold 120 means exactly that. You are allowed to have a total of 120 bullets, either as bullets or made up into rounds.

If you want to hold more then you need to up your limit.

Stan

Yep just as smullery says, suprised Ian Murray could not clarify that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by the laird View Post
    Need Help spoke to my firearms officer about reloading and not entirely sure info given was correct iasked did i need a variatin for pur hase of bullet heads for reloading as per certificate i can buy 100 and hold 120 in 243. my questin was if i want to try differnt weights how do i stand if i get visit say for instace i have in my cabinet 100 100gn softpoints heads and 100 55 grn ballistic tip heads plus 60 bullets ready to go he says not a problem so long as not made up i'm not so sure
    If your flo states this then get it in writing. I am under Northumbria and they include expanding bullets as part of your holding although I have heard of the odd authority that does not. Fortunately the ACPO guidelines clearly state that the handloader should be dealt with sympathetically because it reduces the level of constructed ammunition.

I would send in a variation requesting an upgrade to increase your limits. Handloaders will typically have 500 purchase and 600 holding. I should add that this variation is free.

Search net for copy of ACPO guidelines or pm me and and I can send you a pdf copy of them.

Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    If your flo states this then get it in writing. I am under Northumbria and they include expanding bullets as part of your holding although I have heard of the odd authority that does not. Fortunately the ACPO guidelines clearly state that the handloader should be dealt with sympathetically because it reduces the level of constructed ammunition.

Search net for copy of ACPO guidelines or pm me and and I can send you a pdf copy of them.

Laird,

In writing or not you'd be in breech of the law. You need to apply for an uplift in your allowances. Accurate is correct, gen up on the Guidance Note as everything you need to know is in there. A good starting point is clause 13.28 as it sounds like you're already being short changed. I would suggest that you should apply for a holding of anything from 500 up to 1,000. I personally have an allowance for 900 in each of the calibres that I shoot.

Good luck and don't be afraid to submit a complaint to the Professional Standards Department of your Force if you believe you are not being treated correctly.

Tim

I think there is confusion here and the original question has not been answered. 'Made up' ammunition (i.e. complete and ready to use) is subject of the restrictions on your FAC in that the amounts stated thereon should not be exceeded. Those figures do not include bullet heads, which are in effect scrap metal and do not come under any control until they have all the component parts of ammunition added to it, to make a round or rounds.
    I believe your FEO is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Terrier View Post
    I think there is confusion here and the original question has not been answered. 'Made up' ammunition (i.e. complete and ready to use) is subject of the restrictions on your FAC in that the amounts stated thereon should not be exceeded. Those figures do not include bullet heads, which are in effect scrap metal and do not come under any control until they have all the component parts of ammunition added to it, to make a round or rounds.
    Sorry but in relation to expanding bullets/missiles you are totally wrong, and if the OP or anyone follows your advice they will be open to prosecution!

Is it so hard to scroll to the top of this section of the forum and download a copy of the HO Guidance? Or do a forum search under 'expanding ammo' or 'ammo quantity'?

Purchased factory rounds (FMJ or expanding) plus your own complete reloaded rounds, (again FMJ or expanding), plus individual expanding bullets/projectiles on their own, must not exceed your total 'allowed to possess' quantity.

Expanding bullets/projectiles count towards your total holding of ammo but they need not be entered on the FAC, so are not 'accounted for' in that manner.

The HO Guidance is quite specific about this - the RFD records the sale in his register, and must have sight of your FAC to ensure you have a condition allowing possession of expanding. But there is no requirement for the RFD to make an entry on the FAC.

See 13.7 in the Guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Terrier View Post
    , sorry to disagree PT, but all the information is contained on page one of your FA certificate, in the conditions section, and refers to ammunition (made up ready to fire), and their missiles (bullets heads) and it is their cumulative number which is calculated, further reading of the FA Act 1968, also refers to ammunitions, and missiles, it does not refer to bullet weights of the calibre, I don't disagree however in seeking advice/variation for increase in bullets heads

Sorry Patterdale but as Orion says you are totally wrong and expanding missiles (bullets) count towards your allowance.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Sorry but in relation to expanding bullets/missiles you are totally wrong, and if the OP or anyone follows your advice they will be open to prosecution!

Is it so hard to scroll to the top of this section of the forum and download a copy of the HO Guidance? Or do a forum search under 'expanding ammo' or 'ammo quantity'?

Purchased factory rounds (FMJ or expanding) plus your own complete reloaded rounds, (again FMJ or expanding), plus individual expanding bullets/projectiles on their own, must not exceed your total 'allowed to possess' quantity.

Expanding bullets/projectiles count towards your total holding of ammo but they need not be entered on the FAC, so are not 'accounted for' in that manner.

The HO Guidance is quite specific about this - the RFD records the sale in his register, and must have sight of your FAC to ensure you have a condition allowing possession of expanding. But there is no requirement for the RFD to make an entry on the FAC.

See 13.7 in the Guidance.
    , Orion, I have just read your comments, I support them wholeheartedly, sorry for jumping in old chap!!