Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bullet swaging and press

bullet swaging and press

after reading joes posts on the matter and also gitanos posts from earlier i have been wanting to have a go ,well after going onto cast boolits site i have decided to give it a go from scratch.
    i found some plans to make the press and for me this is the easy part of the process so having been at work yesterday i managed to sit down and work out my cut list so first thing monday my order will be going in for the bright bar to start . i will go through my progress with pics for anyone interested atb,wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Well I'm interested to see it happen, if only because I would like to see the press being made.

Neil.

i figured if i fail on the dies at least i will have a great press for reloading and i am at least up to making that so i will post when my steel stock arrives and its marked out,atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Rather than fabricate a press yourself, may I suggest it would be better to purchase a Walnut Hill press from RCE in the states - they are one of the better Swaging press's and you can with a reduction fitment use reloading dies in them....

Just a sugestion, i'm not trying to belittle your goal by the way, I looked seriously into making my own bullets 10 yrs ago, but the cost of setting up for one or two calibres with decent Neimeh or Deutch Carbide dies was prohibitive....
    Last edited by Ronin; 17-06-2012 at 13:32.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    i figured if i fail on the dies at least i will have a great press for reloading and i am at least up to making that so i will post when my steel stock arrives and its marked out,atb wayne
    Go on do it, do it, do it

redmist its on the similar design as the walnut hill one just bigger the plans are on cast boolits with me buying steelstock it should be fairly cheap to build ,cheaper than i could buy it and ship it over . atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

I have a set if dies coming for .243 from 22lr. Joe blogsgs did them for me. I can not wait. For the dies talk to Joe.

Come on you lead mashers!

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    after reading joes posts on the matter and also gitanos posts from earlier i have been wanting to have a go ,well after going onto cast boolits site i have decided to give it a go from scratch.
    i found some plans to make the press and for me this is the easy part of the process so having been at work yesterday i managed to sit down and work out my cut list so first thing monday my order will be going in for the bright bar to start . i will go through my progress with pics for anyone interested atb,wayne
    You might want to re-assess that press as it is absolutely humongous.
    It can be built without the over long toggle arms and made a little more compact!
    I did look at the original design and asked a couple of steel merchants.... well suffice to say it's not built yet!

Oh and getting anything from the Corbin bros is a joke nowadays!

thanks joe,i did think about scaling down and going metric the press should take most dies if i use reducing bushes and make a shell holder .joe when i get started i need to speak abit more if you dont mind on dies . the reason i want to go down this route is a variation i have in at the moment and want to do my own rounds completely if i can do a proper press then costs are not too bad for the dies if i cant get help doing some of my own, atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

I costed that press from the cast boolit website at metal warehouse. But the cost at those sizes was to much for the budget. I would have to get the parts machined too. So a smaller one would make sence. Joe made my dies for my lee cast iron press.

When I first looked into swaging the price to get started just put me off. The wait time to get anything from the states is just stupid too.

What is the situation with your Sutzen at the moment?