Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head shooting

Head shooting

I myself generally Heart/Lung shoot, after reading a recent article I may now consider it as an alternative.
    Even when carried out by the Professional who would have to consider head shooting more so than the
    Amature due to the line of work they do. Head shooting is I feel frowned upon by many as a no! no!

So why is it the rabbit and hare dose'nt get a second thought, simple ! meat damage, foxes (not for meat)
    are also treated in the same manner. Put Deer in the equation and the "Bambi syndrome" rears it's head.
    True not without it drawbacks it can go wrong ! the answer - for the man sqeeze'n the trigger,
    to get it right.

As Sportsmen we owe it to whatever the quarry my be to kill as quickly and humanely possible.
    " knowing ones limits is paramount "

Your Veiws.

Rgds, Buck.

PS. Know this is a touchy subject which I hope dose'nt esculate !!
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Laws and ethics are full of contradictions. Why are two terriers allowed to kill a rat, but two hounds can't kill a fox? Why can you run a long dog on a rabbit but not a hare?

Are rats and rabbits less entitled to a humane death than foxes and hares? Which are, in turn less entitled to a humane death than a deer?

I hate it, it all just gives ammunition to antis.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I myself generally Heart/Lung shoot, after reading a recent article I may now consider it as an alternative.
    Even when carried out by the Professional who would have to consider head shooting more so than the
    Amature due to the line of work they do. Head shooting is I feel frowned upon by many as a no! no!

So why is it the rabbit and hare dose'nt get a second thought, simple ! meat damage, foxes (not for meat)
    are also treated in the same manner. Put Deer in the equation and the "Bambi syndrome" rears it's head.
    True not without it drawbacks it can go wrong ! the answer - for the man sqeeze'n the trigger,
    to get it right.

As Sportsmen we owe it to whatever the quarry my be to kill as quickly and humanely possible.
    " knowing ones limits is paramount "

Your Veiws.

Rgds, Buck.

PS. Know this is a touchy subject which I hope dose'nt esculate !!
    I think you have been reading Sporting rifle, an interesting article, in my view nothing wrong with a head shot, as long as your are confident

Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I think you have been reading Sporting rifle, an interesting article, in my view nothing wrong with a head shot, as long as your are confident

I have Patrickt, and from a different view it seems feasible, as you say if confident.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

In terms of meat damage what is the difference between a well placed chest shot and a head/neck shot. As an example two bucks I have shot this week. Both chest shot with a .22-250, one to the butchers at 2.80 /kg and one for myself both with very little damage. If you can't put a chest shot where it will cause minimal damage should you really be taking on head/neck shots.
    Nothing wrong with a good head/neck shot but plenty of scope to go wrong.

Head shots are fine but you do have to be confident.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    In terms of meat damage what is the difference between a well placed chest shot and a head/neck shot. As an example two bucks I have shot this week. Both chest shot with a .22-250, one to the butchers at 2.80 /kg and one for myself both with very little damage. If you can't put a chest shot where it will cause minimal damage should you really be taking on head/neck shots.
    Nothing wrong with a good head/neck shot but plenty of scope to go wrong.
    Sums it up nicely. I fully agree!

Rabbits are 'normally' shot at ranges of 50yards or less so any average shooter has little room for error.
    Deer are taken at anything up to 200 yards so plenty of room for error, so head shots on deer are frowned upon.
    Having said that, if a Deer presents itself at anything up to 100 yards and is not aware of your presence and you have a stable platform to shoot from and you know the capabilities of your rifle/scope/bullet combination, then, under those circumstances, a head shot has very little room for error so would probably be taken without a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Rabbits are 'normally' shot at ranges of 50yards or less so any average shooter has little room for error.
    Deer are taken at anything up to 200 yards so plenty of room for error,
    A deers head is over 4 times the size of the average rabbit, so as a target there is no difference that I can see.

Neil.

I hate to quote "Dirty Harry" but he was right when he said "A man has got to know his limitations"....the ability to place a shot within 4"in a shooting test is not the same as consistently shooting deer in the field 1" below the ear or in the atlas area at sensible ranges. So much to go wrong if you foul up...check out You Tube etc. for videos of deer with their jaws hanging off/missing and make your own mind up on the subject.