Thread: help with scope

help with scope

can anyone who as used one please give me any comments on the zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 ir.

I have the none illuminated one great scope for the price you wont go far wrong with it

It's a more than ok scope
    The illumination is simple to operate aslong as you remember to turn it of instead of dimming it right down
    The scope it's self looks tacky and not up to the same standard of build or feel as more expensive scopes in the Zeiss range
    But it is as equally as good if not better
    Especially for the money
    Most disappointing part of the Duralyt is they don't do a ballistic turret or mildot type reticle for it
    So really a waste of space of a scope to design something this good with so little potential
    As this was a scope of the future and I feel Zeiss realised this , which is probably why it will never reach it's full potential, as it would easily out sell the rest of the range if It had a ballistic turret
    But not a patch on the swarovski Z6i

I've got one on my 243 sauer it's good but! As stated before it ain't no Z6i! For that final half hour I've been struggling! Binos picking stuff up but the scope struggles! For Lamping ir on and jobs a good-un...

thanks for your views, even though i would love to put a z6ibt on top i can't bring myself round to spending 1800.

Quote Originally Posted by mike t3 View Post
    thanks for your views, even though i would love to put a z6ibt on top i can't bring myself round to spending 1800.
    I can understand what you are feeling
    I did the same and got the Duralyt
    I hav since bought a second hand Z6i
    And now going to get it fitted with a ballistic turret
    850 approx for the Duralyt you will not be diss appointed
    I wasn't either
    But I purchased a 2nd hand Z6i for about 1000-1100
    200 for the turret to be fitted
    And you get a scope
    But I am talking second hand Z6i against a new Duralyt
    Try and save a few more pennies as there have been some good deal on scopes cingular through the SD of late
    Choose wisely and you will not regrett the extra pennies spent

looks like i'd better save a few more pennies! and keep the receipt away from the wife.

i've gone for it a new z6i on the way , thanks for your views.

Quote Originally Posted by mike t3 View Post
    i've gone for it a new z6i on the way , thanks for your views.
    Well done mate you won't regret it! The Zeiss is a good bit of glass but... I went out Lamping with a mate and used his set up with a z6i on top last night and it was awesome... Just hide the receipt from the mrs!

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    It's a more than ok scope
    The illumination is simple to operate aslong as you remember to turn it of instead of dimming it right down
    The scope it's self looks tacky and not up to the same standard of build or feel as more expensive scopes in the Zeiss range
    But it is as equally as good if not better
    Especially for the money
    Most disappointing part of the Duralyt is they don't do a ballistic turret or mildot type reticle for it
    So really a waste of space of a scope to design something this good with so little potential
    As this was a scope of the future and I feel Zeiss realised this , which is probably why it will never reach it's full potential, as it would easily out sell the rest of the range if It had a ballistic turret
    But not a patch on the swarovski Z6i
    And that is why it has the price point that it does. No additional manufacturing costs for different reticles, no extras, if you want BDC, various reticles, etc then you would have to pay more.

The illumination control is situated in the eye piece end because it is less expensive doing it this way, compared to putting it on the side of the tube (as in the Varipoint models).

Saying all this the light transmission is 90%, (and many higher priced riflescopes do not match this).