Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .222 length problems

.222 length problems

So I set about finding out the seating depth for my 222, always used factory loads so never thought about it before. I wanted to load ballistic tips as opposed to factory loaded soft points. Sort out the length and depth of the bullet head seating and all looks good. Just one problem. The new length bullet is too long for the mag by 0.127 of an inch. Now what? I suppose I have to go back to soft points. Any ideas?

Regards

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

What weight of bullet Mark? if 50-55grn you should be able to seat them deep enough to fit the magazine.

Ian.

+1 to that unless the base of the bullet is below the neck already. Should work.~Muir

50 grain. But seating them that deep how's it going to effect accuracy. I mean putting it that deep is a long way from where I hoped it would be
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk

I load all my .222 (for two Tikkas and an Anschutz) to the Cartridge Overall Length shown in the Vihtavouri guide or my old Lyman book. They shoot well inside 1" at 100yds (1 MOA)

With 50grn bullets you should be able to seat them deep enough to function out of your magazine without any effects on accuracy.
    You really only have two choices here, seat them so they work out of your mag or seat them out and load them singularly.
    Seating them out to get closer to/or engraving the lands does not necessarily guarantee better accuracy, trial and error will tell you.

Ian.

Ok well thanks for that I will give it a go. At least there is hope

Mark

I would try some at mag length see how the accuracy is. As the guy above said. Not all rifle shoot sweet close to the lands

BWS, COAL is almost meaningless info for the handloader, most rifle makes have differing magazine and throat dimensions that you will work with. Forget about it. Set your COAL at just inside mag length first to ensure your rifle feed OK. If the projectile is touching the lands seat it a bit deeper until you have the desired jump. If you have a really long throat and long magazine, seat your pills in the case so you have a minimum of 1 calibre diameter of bearing surface between projectile and case.

If you end up with rounds too long for the magazine you have 3 options.
    Buy a Bobsled which will allow you single feed oversize rounds
    Buy an Alutek bottom metal and AICS mags which accomodate the oversize rounds
    Get David at 'theshootingshed' to modify your magazine