Fair Outcome On Shooting Sparrowhawks?

jamross65

I was reading an article in this weeks Shooting Times about a pigeon fancier who shot dead 3 Sparrowhawks.

I assume although as I have said before on here, not knowing all the facts makes an accurate comment difficult, that they were shot to protect his valuable racing pigeons which I know can be worth thousands of pounds.

His punishment after admitting the crime was to receive a formal police caution!!! :eek:

What punishment would have been handed out to a gamekeeper if he had done the same to protect his birds?

What punishment would have been handed out to a gamekeeper if he had done the same to protect his birds?

Probably something like this:-

Hung, drawn and quartered

Wh at you think??

Aye !
Also too many Badgers gobbling up the eggs and nestlings of ground nesting birds such as Lapwing, Curlew, Skylark etc. not even to mention Duck.

HWH.

More badgers in the UK than there are foxes now! almost twice as many badgers as there are foxes in fact!

Cheers
Pete

Probably something like this:-
Hung, drawn and quartered

Wh at you think??
why hung drawn and quartered ok its illeagl to kill a sparrow hawk but i really think that somthing should be done to control them the same for buzzards too, yes ok they are majestic birds who are nice to see but they also do a lot of damage to species which are fighting for survival in the wild one of which being the english partridge and ok the main part of there stuggle to survive in the wild is based around habitat loss but being eaten by sparrow hawks whos numbers go unchecked cant be good

Don't worry guys, there will soon be a big reduction in Raptor numbers, why? because there is going to be feck all
left for them to eat.

Believe the Lapwing has now been added to the red list.

why hung drawn and quartered ok its illeagl to kill a sparrow hawk but i really think that somthing should be done to control them the same for buzzards too, yes ok they are majestic birds who are nice to see but they also do a lot of damage to species which are fighting for survival in the wild one of which being the english partridge and ok the main part of there stuggle to survive in the wild is based around habitat loss but being eaten by sparrow hawks whos numbers go unchecked cant be good

Simply because if it was a game keeper that is what the antis would demand .................................... his/hers blood. Thought that was obvious. The question was what would it be if it was a keep defending his birds.

Don't worry guys, there will soon be a big reduction in Raptor numbers, why? because there is going to be feck all
left for them to eat.

Believe the Lapwing has now been added to the red list.

I am shocked. I was brought up on a Pennine Hill Farm above Hebden Bridge and Lapwing were abundant. How times change.

Yorkie.

We used to have a lovely population of Long Tailed Tits in our garden...A Sparrow Hawk turned up and then there were none !!

Amazing creatures but they are not called Raptors for nothing !!!

I see Badgers almost every evening I am out these days....Can't be good for the ground nesting birds....

Has nature been pushed out of balance ?

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

And dont get me onto Seagulls - we have hundred here in Edinburgh. Too colonies of great tits nesting in gaps in the stone work. Juts about to fledge Seagulls sitting on the roof and as soon as they came out of the nest, were just gobbled up. Down by the boat the eiders had about 20 chicks - not for very long. And there used to be a big colony of terns nesting on one of the big warehouse rooves down at Granton - bloody gulls have pushed them out. And out on the islands the gulls are hammering all the baby puffins and guilliemots.

I am still a big believer in mammals and raptors that have no natural predators need to be controlled to keep a balance within nature as well as preventing diseases.

Old timer pigeon fancy enthusiasts didn't shoot sparrowhawks.

For one thing they could afford to buy a gun. They had other methods...and old "useless" bird would have glue or something stocky on its back and then powdered crushed glass spread onto it.

Bird would be sent out when the sparrowhawks were about. With results that the sparrowhawks succumbs shortly after what will be it last meal!

I am still a big believer in mammals and raptors that have no natural predators need to be controlled to keep a balance within nature as well as preventing diseases.
I agree wholeheartedly!

For thousands of years man has modified his environment to suit his needs. From clearing forest, draining land, domesticating animals, controlling predators etc. etc..

Many of the urban dwelling majority of modern day Society believe that if we do nothing then "Nature" will take care of it.
I'm afraid that we do not have that luxury.

Modern day Britain is a result of this environmental management and we have no choice but to continue with it and hopefully improve it.

Where there is an abundance of predators there will be a diminished number of prey species. Where there is a diminished number of predators there will be an abundance of prey species.

It is our duty to maintain, as best we can, a balance of both.

Cheers,
Dave

Back