Thread: Stock work

Stock work

Hi all , can I use nitromers to remove an oil finish from a stock , if so how ? If not , what alternatives are out there ?
    Cheersall

When I did the stock for my 222 I used meths (B&Q own purple in colour) and fine wire wool. Wet wire wool with meths, rub lightly in a circular motion then wipe off the gunk with a clean cloth. When it's all off rinse it in clean water.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Hi all , can I use nitromers to remove an oil finish from a stock , if so how ? If not , what alternatives are out there ?
    Cheersall
    Are you sure it's an oiled finish and not some production factory applied satin poly something?

Now Nitromors should do it but it can be nasty stuff to use. Burns skin very well............................... Don't ask . Once rinsed off leaves not odours or residue. Not sure about meths so cannot really comment.

Once the stock is rinsed you will have to dry it and they lay down, remove the raised fibres. I prefer to bone the wood which lays them down and irons then down and burnishes the wood as well. Boning is done by rubbing a suitable dowel, they used to use a cleaned off dries rib bone hence the name boning, I used the round wooden handle of an Engineering Suds brush, and once you have rubbed the stock over ............................... avoiding any chequering panels of course !

The surface should be smooth and have a slight sheen to it. Then a final wipe down with fine wet and dry 600 grit at least of a green scotch brite pad. The stock is then wiped with a lint free cloth to remove dust and further work cab be done like finishing.

nitromors works well and also removes oils.
    allows you to start with a clean slate when reapplying