Thread: Spotting Scope New Experience

Spotting Scope New Experience

I was very kindly gifted a spotting scope by Glyn from Holkham off this site last October when he was up for a go at the Sika with me. Very generous and totally unexpected!

Anyway, today was the first time I actually had the chance to use it properly, looking at some of the Sika that were out this afternoon.

I was blown away at what was now visible at some very far off distances and could easily identify the sex of the deer from probably well over a mile away out on the hill. It has a mag range from 20x to 60x.

I had never really thought about a spotting scope before and really looked on them as an expensive luxury not really needed unless on the hill. Well, how wrong! it will be used a lot more in the future when driving about the estate to see things in greater detail. It opens up a whole new world! My 2 boys also now had the chance to see some deer that were still alive for a change up close!
    Last edited by jamross65; 17-06-2012 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I was very kindly gifted a spotting scope by Glyn from Holkham off this site last October when he was up for a go at the Sika with me. Very generous and totally unexpected!

Anyway, today was the first time I actually had the chance to use it properly, looking at some of the Sika that were out this afternoon.

I was blown away at what was now visible at some very far off distances and could easily identify the sex of the deer from probably well over a mile away out on the hill. It has a mag range from 20x to 60x.

I had never really thought about a spotting scope before and really looked on them as an expensive luxury not really needed unless on the hill. Well, how wrong! it will be used a lot more in the future when driving about the estate to see things in greater detail. It opens up a whole new world! My 2 boys also now had the chance to see some deer that were still alive for a change up close!
    + 1

I use one on large restock sites helps sex Deer and saves wasting time .

I just wish I could afford one :-(

went to some antiques fairs and there is a number of stalking spotting scopes available in the 2nd hand market, but even the old bangers are 280+...

I got one a few weeks ago, predominantly for spying roe across a meadow from my study onto my permission which is about 1.5km away. Also use it for spotting at the range, general wildlife - and the moon looks fantastic!
    Did some research and went for a Nikon ED80 with 25-75 zoom eyepiece - reviews said that it was pretty close to a Swarovski and I can't fault it - it's great!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I just wish I could afford one :-(went to some antiques fairs and there is a number of stalking spotting scopes available in the 2nd hand market, but even the old bangers are 280+...
    I put one in the classifieds this morning-220 and no old banger! They are brilliant for judging decent roebucks as well.

Jamross,

I was never without one when stalking for a living, spying deer across valleys and being able to determine shoot-ability of stags is a god send :-)

Account Suspended
    Hello PKL

I am selling a Hertel & Reuss. An excellent German scope recently serviced. Selling for offers around 250. Its advertised in the OPtics section.
    Cheers
    Heugal

used one in new zealand it was a fantastic bit of kit and definately needed i would love to get one for full time use,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I've a Swarovski STM 80 HD with a 20-60x eyepiece that I managed to get for a very good price on eBlag. A bit weighty but very worthwhile having around when needed. I've also got a camera mount to take the SLR for some digiscoping - and with the telescope's magnification it equates to some insane focal length apparently:

These taken at 400m(ish) without a remote shutter release so not quite as good as they could be.

Attachment 16585Attachment 16586Attachment 16587
    Last edited by Orion; 19-06-2012 at 15:43.