short barrel

I considered it on an my old Tikka .243 but read about potential loss of Muzzle energy which in turn could have bought it close to the legal limit for certain Deer with certain bullet heads. Depending how much you shorten it all has a bearing on the internal ballistics I found that my .243 with a ASE Utra on the end felt too long so wanted to reduce the overal length. In the end I looked around the other calibres available for what I was doing and choose to go for a .270 and home load with a barrel 2 inch shorter and an ASE Northstar that came back over the barrel so effectively I had reduced the overall length by 3-4 inches.

Hi all thinking about taking a few inches of my m595 243 any thoughts good Bad

how long is it at the moment. 20 inches for a 243 would be about the shortest you could go. i would prefer 22 inches if it was my rifle.

I had my Sako 75 shortened to 20 inches. No problems with muzzle energy, however I home-load with Speer 85 grain SPBT and Varget or Viht N160, which give 3,100 fps or so, tested over the chrono. I haven't tried 100 or 105 grain bullets in it as I use 30-06 for the larger species.

I had my 243 cut to 19". If you screw a t8 on it only sits about an inch from the fore end. Main thing is getting it re crowned properly. Dont pick the cheapest! Very handy if shooting out the window etc. If shooting a lot of reds I wouldn't do it. Found it a bit soft on them.
GT

Well its not necessarily related to length of rifle but............

Long and thin goes too far in and aggravates the ladies,
Short and thick does the trick and manufactures babies

Amazing what you remember when you were an apprentice.................:coat:

Back