barrel sight drill holes

User00003

drill/tap holes in the barrel for front and rear sights..what fillers are available/filling techniques?

I have some that have been filled in with a red material...any thoughts?

thanks

P

There are small blanking screws to fill them as seen here on my P-H 1200V:-

P-H1200VBarrel.jpg

Of course make of rifle will effect the screw size. Tose were factory fitted into the holes as the varmint came with no irons and the holes are meant for the forward scope base when using the long target scopes like the Unertl or Lyman Target Spot.

If you can find the blanking screws all well and good, I tend to use a blob of grease or black wax crayon to fill the holes.

peter I have some hex blanking screws that I used for the rear and fore sight holes on my PH 1100.
you just need to file down the underside to correct depth. still leaves a hole that you can fill with black wax if you want

I have some spare and will dig them out, you are welcome to them if you want to pop round

peter I have some hex blanking screws that I used for the rear and fore sight holes on my PH 1100.
you just need to file down the underside to correct depth. still leaves a hole that you can fill with black wax if you want

I have some spare and will dig them out, you are welcome to them if you want to pop round

Ed,

I am not sure if they will fit the thread and size, but if they do then I'd be very grateful once again for your help, ps. I'd probably need 3 in total if you have. :tiphat:

next question then is,,,how do you get the wax out someone has already filled in a couple of the holes?:eek:

Oh dear .......... Cheese head screws are the normal slotted one flat on top with a counter sink head to sit flush. That's what they called them when we were doing wood work at school................................ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let's just say some time ago ;).

Oh dear .......... Cheese head screws are the normal slotted one flat on top with a counter sink head to sit flush. That's what they called them when we were doing wood work at school................................ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let's just say some time ago ;).

That is a countersunk screw, cheesehead looks like a 'cheese' no countersink top and bottom parallel.

That is a countersunk screw, cheesehead looks like a 'cheese' no countersink top and bottom parallel.

Thank you Joe :oops: it's been a long time and some times we all have brain farts.

of course your correct. For some reason i was thinking wedge of cheese.

Last edited:
Back