Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a quick way? Skull cleaning?

Is there a quick way? Skull cleaning?

I have cleaned a few roe skulls mainly with forceps after boiling. This works well but takes ages. Is there a faster way of doing this? I thought of power hose but won't that crack the skull or leave bits and pieces on it?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler.250 View Post
    I have cleaned a few roe skulls mainly with forceps after boiling. This works well but takes ages. Is there a faster way of doing this? I thought of power hose but won't that crack the skull or leave bits and pieces on it?
    A pressure washer is the way to go - full skull cleaning

A pressure washer works OK on full skulls if you cut your skulls or have young bucks to do it can blow them apart
    if you decide to go the traditional way it should not take that long, use a blunt knife and a pair of long nose pliers and something with a fine point for cleaning around the coronets I use a small screwdriver the type for repairing glasses.

I have tried a pressure washer and to be honest I prefer the traditional way all my skulls are cut apart from the odd one that maybe borderline for example if high silver but possibly might make low gold , if sure of medal status then they are cut as that is what my clients require.

Find it easier and a lot less work cleaning if head is cut before boiling rather than after.

With a bit of practice you should be able to do a head start to finish in around an hour

I clean 130- 150 Roe heads a year by traditional method

Even better if you go down to your local garage that has a steam cleaner!

Never thought of a steam cleaner but that would certainly work, under no circumstance use maggots while they will remove the flesh you will be left with a skull thats very difficult to get white.

I boil them in a burco then clamp them in a mobile workbench and power wash. Use narrow and wide angled jets depending on wether young/cut or old/full heads. I can have them from the beast to clean in 40 minutes.

I just pressure wash inside brain cavity and around peds burco boiler good for rest.

Steam cleaner works well for me stright from the boiler on with the steam jet but always seem to end up with a facefull of boiled brain

Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely try a power wash on the next one as I'm taking a couple of hours to do one with knife/forceps.

If you are cutting a skull, are you using proper equipment,(I notice bushwear sell something along that lines) or do you just use a saw?

Does the burco boiler make it quicker than cleaning in a pan? Might have a snoop for one on eBay.

My only other question is whether the hot water bleaches the antlers? I tend to miss the back of the skull a bit when boiling as I'm trying to avoid removing any colour from the coronets.

Thanks again!