land clearance

ziggy

hi guys, a few months back i had asked the police to clear some land for me due to the "restrictions" on my fac. i had asked for the land to be checked so i could use my .308 on there for fallow deer. just found out today that it has now been checked but they have only cleared it for .22 centre fire and in their notes it stated that muntjac are present and that was pretty much it, with no mention of fallow or the .308. do i just have to grin and bear it or can i argue the toss and "appeal" against it not being cleared for the bigger rifle as its all about the backstop anyway? i can appreciate that this has probably been done to death already but would still like some input from other members. cheers guys

ask them to put in on paper why the wont pass it for 308 ?? them you can take it up with them and may be get help from David from BASC on the site

regards DJC

Hi Ziggy

Is the land contoured or is it pretty flat like most of it round us.

As said get it in writting off them as to why they wouldn't pass it, and if BASC cannot help it might be worth having a look in Home Office guidelines, there has to be valid reasons for not passing.

I still stuggle getting my head around a 22 CF being more of a danger than a 243 or 308.

If its a safe shot its a safe shot.

cheers wayne, its contoured and has plenty of fallow. its not in lincs unfortunately its just south of the border so its all fun and games finidng out who actually wants my enquiries too. ill get an e-mail sent of today and ask them to give their reasons etc and see what happens, fingers crossed.

Ziggy,

If it's not already too late I'd suggest you simply tell them that your original request was for the land to be inspected for .30 calibre and ask them why they haven't complied with that. Hopefully you'll have a copy of the original to back it up?

If you start in on them about "why .22CF and not .308" or " land suitable by reason or contour" or similar, you might get an FEO that digs his heels in and then you could have an uphill battle on your hands.

Maybe better to first establish that they haven't just made a mistake and missed off your request for an inspection for up to .30 calibre before getting in deeper?

cheers wayne, its contoured and has plenty of fallow. its not in lincs unfortunately its just south of the border so its all fun and games finidng out who actually wants my enquiries too. ill get an e-mail sent of today and ask them to give their reasons etc and see what happens, fingers crossed.

You could also offer to send them Trial Cam pics of Fallow on the land. I know it's stating the obvious, but you could point out that a .223 & 22/250 are "flat" rounds and a .308 will go to ground far quicker than a .22 CF thus a safer round on flat ground.
Best of luck
Paul

Back