Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Wardens / Call outs

Deer Wardens / Call outs

Guys (and gals) I know each constabulary deal with RTAs etc involving Deer in different ways, some have a specific Deer Warden scheme, others, a list of competent persons who will attend and humanely dispach.. others use Vets and some even use there own ARUs..

Does anyone know how the scheme is run in Cleveland and how one would get on any list (if it exists.) I posed the question to the firearms dept and they didn't know.

Cheers
    Paul

Suggest you ask the Operational Dept of the force - the force control centre will probably maintain a list of whoever they call out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Guys (and gals) I know each constabulary deal with RTAs etc involving Deer in different ways, some have a specific Deer Warden scheme, others, a list of competent persons who will attend and humanely dispach.. others use Vets and some even use there own ARUs..

Does anyone know how the scheme is run in Cleveland and how one would get on any list (if it exists.) I posed the question to the firearms dept and they didn't know.

Cheers
    Paul

Why would you want to get involved in that?missing the sleepless nights of early parenting???

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Why would you want to get involved in that?missing the sleepless nights of early parenting???
    possibly! don't tell the wife!

The RSPCA will also have a list for your area if you want to do that kind of work although it is ususally vets on it as not everyone calls the police when they see an injured deer, you can invoice them for any callouts you do for them unlike the police who we do it for free for in our area. It might be worth speaking to the police control room in your area as they are the people who allocate the callouts to the nearest person on the list t(if you have a list in Cleveland) -not the firearms dept.

I fail to see the attraction of these schemes to people. You are attending a stressful situation often alone to kill bamby.

I do it, but don't *like* doing it.

(I've been called by both the police and RSPCA and we invoice them)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I fail to see the attraction of these schemes to people. You are attending a stressful situation often alone to kill bamby.

+1 on that,I used to do this kind of work until they stopped paying then I stopped getting out of bed at god only hours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

I think it's important that someone does it Apache. I do like doing it as it gives satisfaction of a job well done, I am better equipped to do it than most so why not help out? I am in a lucky position of being able to offer a lot of equipment and time for free to do this kind of work so can't see a problem. Most of my callouts a vet would not be able to get close to administer an injection and I know some have humane killers but certainly not all and a firearm is often required. I got to a call on monday where a vet who had just administered an injection was about to leave the carcass on the side of the road. As she put it " I hope no-one takes it home to feed their dog or it will be going to sleep for a long time"- she honestly expected me to take it to my dead bin at my cost after she'd put it down (I loaded it onto the back seat of her car for her to take to her own dead bin). I have no idea of how persistent these injections are in the food chain but surely some kind of tagging system should be brought in to ensure animals euthanised by vets on the roadside don't enter the food chain. Not having a go at vets here but just the system of leaving animals containing drugs on the side of the road.

Ben, they are supposed to remove or mark carcasses that have been put down with drugs.

I've had to do a few round here, where I've been first on the scene. Not done any with a gun though, only a knife as I've never had a rifle or shotgun in the car when I've come across one. Does anyone know who administers this in the TV police area as I'd be happy to volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    I think it's important that someone does it Apache. I do like doing it as it gives satisfaction of a job well done, I am better equipped to do it than most so why not help out? I am in a lucky position of being able to offer a lot of equipment and time for free to do this kind of work so can't see a problem. Most of my callouts a vet would not be able to get close to administer an injection and I know some have humane killers but certainly not all and a firearm is often required. I got to a call on monday where a vet who had just administered an injection was about to leave the carcass on the side of the road. As she put it " I hope no-one takes it home to feed their dog or it will be going to sleep for a long time"- she honestly expected me to take it to my dead bin at my cost after she'd put it down (I loaded it onto the back seat of her car for her to take to her own dead bin). I have no idea of how persistent these injections are in the food chain but surely some kind of tagging system should be brought in to ensure animals euthanised by vets on the roadside don't enter the food chain. Not having a go at vets here but just the system of leaving animals containing drugs on the side of the road.

I agree with your view but the way I see it is that if the vets were able to charge the going rate for using darts rifles etc etc,whatever was required,they would provide the service......as a business I used to provide this service but then started charging a realistic rate and suddenly the work stopped and the local stalkers got the calls instead.......it is a vacuum industry,if the stalking world charged realistic rates the next volunteer group would get the call......