Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has It Happend To You

Has It Happend To You

Hi All
    Went back out last night after fathers day success.As i was driving up to farm about half way their 20min driving i was thinking the night ahead thru, **** left battery at homeStrike 1
    All the way home to collect now 50 min late, getting dark. I like to sit last hour of daylight over carcass in case anything comes in early.
    Finally arrived at farm pulls in, light on roof,gun out bolt in mag in sorted.I usually stop about 70 yards from first gate nice long bend as I've seen foxes in field last few visits,running late getting dark no time drive right up**** 2 foxes forty yards from gate only to see them disappearStrike 2
    Finally arrived at field decide to lie out instead of sitting in car,all set up about 30 feet above carcass 70 yards below perfect,coffee poured now waiting game.Never caught that dark, could have shot all night without light.
    Three hours later daylight coming in 3am,here comes Mr fox finally cross hair's on safety off click nothing misfire no never had one with my 22.250,fox looks up sucker see you later i,m off.Open bolt ****no round inStrike3
    Sitting for another half hour cursing to my self about the disaster of the night,won't come back now,just as i was ready to sit up in she came again very wary didn't give her a second chance down she went,teats full with milk not much baldness so must be young cubs good one to get. So it goes to show doesn't matter how bad your night goes never give up.
    Jim

have you found the earth and dug the cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    +1 on that!?

Hi Hyperrion
    No chance of that farm surrounded on three sides that i don't have permission to go onto.The three dens that i know off on the farm are checked regularly and are not in use just now.
    Jim

I wouldn't be happy leaving cubs to starve to death thats why I won't shoot foxes from spring to mid summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I wouldn't be happy leaving cubs to starve to death thats why I won't shoot foxes from spring to mid summer.
    +1

There is also a possible cruelty case to answer? by shooting the vixen and not finding the cubs are you perpetrating an act of cruelty?, its highly unlikely that you would get prosecuted but you never know these days!

The cubs will come out to find the vixen - So you should be able to "bait" em out into the open with the body of the vixen.

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Hi if i did not shoot foxes spring to mid summer i would not have any fox shooting.(Farmer phones Jim lost two lambs last night fox caught them O I'm sorry can't shoot them they might have cubs in a den somewhere i will come out late summer and get it) ye right.Sorry farmer phones I'm their that night or day.to deal with problem.That's how you keep farmer happy you keep your permission,fox control is not a hobby to do as and when you like,it is a duty you get permission to control the fox population protect live stock if you don't do it at lambing time you are no good to any one.

Jim

+1

There is also a possible cruelty case to answer? by shooting the vixen and not finding the cubs are you perpetrating an act of cruelty?, its highly unlikely that you would get prosecuted but you never know these days!
    Hi Hyperion
    Are you for real,next you will be wanting a close season for foxes,rabbits,why not include rats,We are there to protect livestock.Out lamping see a set of eyes mm i wonder is it a vixen O i can't tell better not kill it i might get prosecuted if i can't find cubs. Ye like that would happen.Even if i know ware den is i would never dig it,as Russian sniper says bait them out.Dig out a Den and you could ruin it for future use,find a den then you know ware to look year on year.
    Jim

Whilst I agree that it is not good to leave cubs to possibly starve (and I say possibly because even with shooting the vixen it is known that the cubs can still survive with the help of the dog/other relatives) the OP here is in a difficult situation if he does not have access to surrounding ground. As he rightly says fox control should not be a hobby but to fail to pursue the cubs is only leaving another lot of problems for further down the line.
    What I would say is why wait till the lambs are lost and the farmer is on the phone. From now (silage cut) till March hammer the foxes relentlessly and you will go a long way to saving lambs etc before they are lost.