Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 HMR - Cheapest supplier for 500-1000 purchase?

.17 HMR - Cheapest supplier for 500-1000 purchase?

Hi, does anyone know anywhere in the Anglia region or near enough to here, to get the cheapest 17HMR ammo?
    I have only shot hollow point and have lovely head shots at any range up to 125 yards (no doubt beyond but haven't had a chance to shoot at further). I am VERY happy with the results, especially the damage on target, but would like to try the BT rounds.
    Above all I am trying to see if there is any way to get rounds less than 23 pence each, which is the cheapest I can find locally @ 115 per 500.
    I can purchase up to 1000. Anybody know anywhere cheaper?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bills View Post
    Hi, does anyone know anywhere in the Anglia region or near enough to here, to get the cheapest 17HMR ammo?
    I have only shot hollow point and have lovely head shots at any range up to 125 yards (no doubt beyond but haven't had a chance to shoot at further). I am VERY happy with the results, especially the damage on target, but would like to try the BT rounds.
    Above all I am trying to see if there is any way to get rounds less than 23 pence each, which is the cheapest I can find locally @ 115 per 500.
    I can purchase up to 1000. Anybody know anywhere cheaper?
    Thanks
    23P each? is this correct? I buy .223 FMJ's at less than that !
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

well 25p each is standard, yes

23p from a local RFD doing a "deal"!

Glad you posted Kenny, I am looking for .223 FMJ for target shooting. What do you pay and where do you get them? Are they Prvis?

if i was you i'd only be looking for winchester 17hmr ammo.
    until recently all 17hmr ammo was basically made by 1 company. however this ammo is giving excessive rates of bad rounds.
    so winchester is now manufacturing its own 17hmr round, totally seperately.

since when?
    can you confirm this or is it hearsay?

think they all show excessive rates of failure still

Welcome to Google Docs

Quote Originally Posted by bills View Post
    well 25p each is standard, yes

23p from a local RFD doing a "deal"!

Glad you posted Kenny, I am looking for .223 FMJ for target shooting. What do you pay and where do you get them? Are they Prvis?
    I bought Barnault 62grn as part of someones 1000 buy at a smidgin over 20x100 and wolf 55gn are available from my local RFD at 24x100 if you want more quality then the NRA at Bisley sell GGG 62gn milsurp at 38x100 although I haven't noticed any difference untill you get to 600 yrds when the GGG is noticeably better than the others
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

That's a very interesting piece on Google Docs Bewsher, any idea where it started from?
    Chunk, are you positive about Winchester manufactuing their own 17 ammo?

What you're paying seems to be going rate. These are the cheapest I can find.... from a large dealer. They do spot deals, so you may get lucky.

http://www.johnbradshawguns.co.uk/Rimfire.html

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    I bought Barnault 62grn as part of someones 1000 buy at a smidgin over 20x100 and wolf 55gn are available from my local RFD at 24x100 if you want more quality then the NRA at Bisley sell GGG 62gn milsurp at 38x100 although I haven't noticed any difference untill you get to 600 yrds when the GGG is noticeably better than the others
    It really is weird that commercial .223 prices can undercut .17HMR. The price for Wolf 55gr FMJ at 24/100 is cheap but still looked expensive, so I did some checking. DAG, GECO, HP, and Prvi-P are around 11 a 20 box - maybe 50/100 on a good day - so a fairer comparison but probably no more accurate.
    Turning out my own is 21/100 at today's prices - that's with Vit. @ 50/Kilo, Sierra bullets, and standard SR primers. The cases are free, but I've spent a fair bit of time and have lots of kit so these costs haven't been factored in. It's so labour-intensive that it wouldn't be profitable to turn some out for friends, even if I felt inclined.

It does make me wonder about the value of the new rimfire calibres, which are effectively proprietary cartridges. It's much the same situation as the old british gun trade where they furnished both the rifles and the ammunition to fit in them. The high retail prices and low production costs has given the ammo/rifle maker cartels the chance to make a killing and recoup their initial investment. Maybe the writing's on the wall, and prices will begin to fall now that Remington is in competition and making both.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Sinistral, I fear you are in for a shock when you buy your next batch of powder VhitN140 is 65-75 a kilo now