.17 HMR - Cheapest supplier for 500-1000 purchase?

bills

Hi, does anyone know anywhere in the Anglia region or near enough to here, to get the cheapest 17HMR ammo?
I have only shot hollow point and have lovely head shots at any range up to 125 yards (no doubt beyond but haven't had a chance to shoot at further). I am VERY happy with the results, especially the damage on target, but would like to try the BT rounds.
Above all I am trying to see if there is any way to get rounds less than 23 pence each, which is the cheapest I can find locally @ £115 per 500.
I can purchase up to 1000. Anybody know anywhere cheaper?
Thanks

Hi, does anyone know anywhere in the Anglia region or near enough to here, to get the cheapest 17HMR ammo?
I have only shot hollow point and have lovely head shots at any range up to 125 yards (no doubt beyond but haven't had a chance to shoot at further). I am VERY happy with the results, especially the damage on target, but would like to try the BT rounds.
Above all I am trying to see if there is any way to get rounds less than 23 pence each, which is the cheapest I can find locally @ £115 per 500.
I can purchase up to 1000. Anybody know anywhere cheaper?
Thanks
23P each? is this correct? I buy .223 FMJ's at less than that !

well 25p each is standard, yes :(

23p from a local RFD doing a "deal"!

Glad you posted Kenny, I am looking for .223 FMJ for target shooting. What do you pay and where do you get them? Are they Prvis?

if i was you i'd only be looking for winchester 17hmr ammo.
until recently all 17hmr ammo was basically made by 1 company. however this ammo is giving excessive rates of bad rounds.
so winchester is now manufacturing its own 17hmr round, totally seperately.

well 25p each is standard, yes :(

23p from a local RFD doing a "deal"!

Glad you posted Kenny, I am looking for .223 FMJ for target shooting. What do you pay and where do you get them? Are they Prvis?
I bought Barnault 62grn as part of someones 1000 buy at a smidgin over £20x100 and wolf 55gn are available from my local RFD at £24x100 if you want more quality then the NRA at Bisley sell GGG 62gn milsurp at £38x100 although I haven't noticed any difference untill you get to 600 yrds when the GGG is noticeably better than the others

That's a very interesting piece on Google Docs Bewsher, any idea where it started from?
Chunk, are you positive about Winchester manufactuing their own 17 ammo?

I bought Barnault 62grn as part of someones 1000 buy at a smidgin over £20x100 and wolf 55gn are available from my local RFD at £24x100 if you want more quality then the NRA at Bisley sell GGG 62gn milsurp at £38x100 although I haven't noticed any difference untill you get to 600 yrds when the GGG is noticeably better than the others

It really is weird that commercial .223 prices can undercut .17HMR. The price for Wolf 55gr FMJ at £24/100 is cheap but still looked expensive, so I did some checking. DAG, GECO, HP, and Prvi-P are around £11 a 20 box - maybe £50/100 on a good day - so a fairer comparison but probably no more accurate.
Turning out my own is £21/100 at today's prices - that's with Vit. @ £50/Kilo, Sierra bullets, and standard SR primers. The cases are free, but I've spent a fair bit of time and have lots of kit so these costs haven't been factored in. It's so labour-intensive that it wouldn't be profitable to turn some out for friends, even if I felt inclined.

It does make me wonder about the value of the new rimfire calibres, which are effectively proprietary cartridges. It's much the same situation as the old british gun trade where they furnished both the rifles and the ammunition to fit in them. The high retail prices and low production costs has given the ammo/rifle maker cartels the chance to make a killing and recoup their initial investment. Maybe the writing's on the wall, and prices will begin to fall now that Remington is in competition and making both.

Sinistral, I fear you are in for a shock when you buy your next batch of powder :D VhitN140 is £65-75 a kilo now :eek:

Yes, Kenny.

N140 is significantly more expensive than the other N-series, but only because everyone uses it. The price I gave is today's price. I was talking .22 CF where N140 isn't ideal.

If you were thinking of .308 any of the Vit. powders from N133 to N150 can be used. It's a very flexible calibre. I've developed loads for each, and take whatever is in stock at the best price. Not being smart here, just adapting to the market conditions.

ah! sorry I made an assumption, and we all know where that leads :D , a lot of people seem to be turning to TR140 for .308, as that is currently £50-55 a kilo

That's a very interesting piece on Google Docs Bewsher, any idea where it started from?
Chunk, are you positive about Winchester manufactuing their own 17 ammo?

yes, although most rfd will sell off their old stock first.
they have started manufacturing approx 1 1/2 months ago, so still very recent.
details i was given are, they will use slightly thicker walled casings, different powder, but same bullets.

wow, a lot happened on the thread since my computer went bang!!

Sinistral - cases - maybe you get yours free but I am looking for .223 and .308 cases for reloading both calibres. Don't suppose you would have any to sell or know where I can get em cheap?

.17 HMR - if this is true I am over the moon!! I had heard there was a monopoly on the rounds all coming from one factory. Anyone have a link to buy Winchester, or even just proof so I don't start drooling unnecessarily?!

Back