Thread: Best time of the year to stalk?

Best time of the year to stalk?

As you might know/remember, I am planning a trip to stalk in England. I'll probably focus on south of London. I haven't made up my mind east or west. I am not intrested in trophies, I'd rather spend the money on more days than the expense of 'heads on the wall.' If I could bring back a Muntjack or Roe head on the plane, I might consider it. I would like to shoot a couple of smallish cull bucks/stags, because of pictures. I want to stalk Roe first and after that Sika, Fallow and Muntjac, in no particular order. Being from South Texas I am more heat tolerant, than cold tolerant. It's also $200-300 cheaper to travel before the middle of May and after the middle of September than the summer. Does moon phase make a difference? If you were to suggest a week or so what would be your choice? Thanks again, capt david

David may i sugest you plan your trip on the last days of October ( so you can shoot a roebuck ) and stay as long as you can into November ( all sexes of Muntjac ,Fallow and Sika).

Chill

October for sure. Best time of the year in this part of the world.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

October ! Unless you like high seats and short sleeves , in which case . Now I guess

I would say end of october early november , bird shooting will have started then and the river and sea fishing is good as well

I find moonphase does make a difference and a full moon period is best avoided. Rain makes a difference too, but hey, that's what we have to put up with here. At least it will stop raining for a while sometime & when it does, out pop the deer.
    Mid October on is a good time.
    If you decide on the East of the country, there's also a very good possibility of Chinese Water Deer around the Bedford area, some 40 miles north of London. It's one of very few areas in the UK where they are to be found.
    Lots of Muntjac around there too. Muntjac, Roe & Reds in Norfolk.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Trying to take a Roe Buck that late in the season is not easy. Most Roe Buck in September go fairly quiet although sometimes you get a false rut.

Muntjac in September is ok, but there is still a lot of cover up and the little beggars can be hard to get a shot at. I used to run hunts for all 6 species across the UK, and the only time you stood a reasonable chance was late September, however thats not possible now as CWD are not in season until November.

If you want to take Fallow, Sika, and muntjac all on the same trip I would suggest you come over in early to mid October as your best time to succeed. However I would forget the Roe and come back another time in early spring or late July for the best chance.

Good luck.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Dont worry about being heat tolerant. Summer past in April. I wildfowl in better than this in winter. Still I agree October time. Try and get a go at some geese whilst your here swell. Sounds like a top trip.

why all this 'roe buck'? The best stalking is in December with the minimum cover and deer are far easier to locate especially with morning frosts and the chance of light snow. CWD and Muntjac bucks are in as well as the females of all six. If a hunter wants rut shooting that's fair enough but access to all and the best and easiest stalking is December IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    The best stalking is in December with the minimum cover and deer are far easier to locate especially with morning frosts and the chance of light snow. Access to all and the best and easiest stalking is December IMO.
    Shhhh.......hod ya whysht!
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!