Thread: Reloading 6.5x55

Reloading 6.5x55

I have been reloading for a short while now, and have used my reloads to great affect on the range and on foxes. last night i shot my first deer with them.

There was no definite exit wound, just a couple of small tears, and the insides looked like a bomb had gone off in them.

I think i need to change the bullets that im using, so what do people use.

I want a bullet that will stop a fox in its tracks, and will also stop a Red deer(Doubt these would have reached the vitals but he would not have felt well either) without too much bullet damage.

Whats best?

My current recipe is

CCI200
    47GN RL22
    140GN Hornady A-max

Someone has suggested Sierra Gameking, Speer HotCors/DeepCurl are any of these any good?

There are lots of different loads. This is my favourite in my rifle, works for me. 46 grains Vit N160 with a 120 grain Barnes TSX.

I use 140gr Game kings for both deer and foxes and they always do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    I have been reloading for a short while now, and have used my reloads to great affect on the range and on foxes. last night i shot my first deer with them.

There was no definite exit wound, just a couple of small tears, and the insides looked like a bomb had gone off in them.

I think i need to change the bullets that im using, so what do people use.

I want a bullet that will stop a fox in its tracks, and will also stop a Red deer(Doubt these would have reached the vitals but he would not have felt well either) without too much bullet damage.

Whats best?

My current recipe is

CCI200
    47GN RL22
    140GN Hornady A-max

Someone has suggested Sierra Gameking, Speer HotCors/DeepCurl are any of these any good?
    like i told you , go for the game kings or barnes tipped tsx , they are all exelent bullets .

those A max in my opinion are just too flimsy for the job .

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    like i told you , go for the game kings or barnes tipped tsx , they are all exelent bullets .

those A max in my opinion are just too flimsy for the job .
    I doubt it would have reached the vitals on a red deer.

Box of Gamekings now on order.

I use 120g gameking with vit 160 works well

Amax's I thought that they were classed as non expanding and not legal /suitable for deer, well thats what the numerous threads on here about Amax's seemed to suggest, and they can be posted so they are not classed as Expanding,
    Have you thought about 140 berger VLD's hunting.

PJ.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

I'm just starting working up loads for my 6.5x55. I been using 46 grains of N160 (as deer man suggests) on 120 grain Nosler BT's. I'm still experimenting with different ogives but have a sub 1/2 inch group already.

I have used 125 grain NBT's on reds and foxes through my .308 with good effect, so can't see the 6.5 would be much different.

Ben