.308 Moderator

gunner269

Hi, I've just restarted stalking again after a 20 year break. Noone used mods' back then. I've done the usual runaround of the local gunshops, but am just as confused now as when I first started looking. I thought I would try asking the people who actually use them, rather than someone trying to sell me the one that earns them the most commission. So, please recommend some to me! Cheers, Paul.

i use a northstar on my 308 it may be a little heavier than some of the alloy ones but it is excellent mate , noise reduction and recoil wise and stainless maintance free bar a puff of wd40

I have owned a T8 and a Atec CMM4

T8 Very heavy, very good sound moderation, rust prone.
CCM4 Very light, strippable, ok sound moderation.

I would recommend a ATEC Maxim.

Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Hi, I've just restarted stalking again after a 20 year break. Noone used mods' back then. I've done the usual runaround of the local gunshops, but am just as confused now as when I first started looking. I thought I would try asking the people who actually use them, rather than someone trying to sell me the one that earns them the most commission. So, please recommend some to me! Cheers, Paul.

ase utra s5 or a wildcat. both superb moddies

Paul, dont use one unless you have to, horrible dreadfull things, everyone uses them even if they dont need to, they are the norm now.
I have to use one and have a Ase Utra S5

Ian.

+1 for Atec Maxim - I have one on my .308 and one on .243. Very light and stainless baffles.

I think life is too short to be running around with heavy moderator.
On a stalking rifle an ultra light A-Tec or Roedale will last years.
The best thing is get the actual weights of the moderator in question, not only "quite" light, or "light"....

Most who say they don't like using a moderator have never used an ultra light moderator on a
short barrelled rifle. In some cases the moderator weighs as much as the piece of barrel removed.
edi

AW-1.jpg
I've tried reflex T8's, ASE Ultra's and PES moderators. In my experience the T8's have good sound suppression, but are bulky in profile, heavy and prone to corrosion, the ASE was an excellent compact moderator but very heavy for it's size. My favourite by far is the PES. I've have a T12 on my sako 85 and a custom full barrel job on my AW. It's stainless, light and gives great noise attenuation.

All the moderators mentioned are excellent but none of them perfect in every way,the closest I have found to being so is the maxim I have owned the following in my time and spent lots of ££££!!! ase northstar, ase ultra, wildcat predator 8, a tec cmm4, and the t8 among a few others in my quest for the one I liked the most,the maxim won the race good luck whatever you choose

I've got an MAE T12 on my .243, .22, and .17HMR - I've tried DM80's and Wildcat's in all three calibres, and have shot with guns fitted with Northstar's, ASE Ultra's, T8's, etc...

Conclusion was the MAE T12 and ASE Ultra were the quitest, but for me the slim profile and lenghth of the MAE T12 won the game for me on my .243. They're also the quietest .17HMR and .22lr mods on the market in my opinion!

There's a review of the T12 here: PES T12 sound moderator | Accessories | Shooting UK and somewhere online there's a review of a load of top centrefire moderators but can't find it at the moment. Review Centre .com has a pretty good list of reviews.

I use a wildcat (pre-predator) on my .308 Blaser. Sound suppression is good (on a par with others I have seen on .308s), its stainless and it really calms recoil but it weighs a ton. For this reason its going to be chopped for a aluminium one. They are even lighter than titanium and it will take me a long, long time to burn one out. I will be looking at the Hardy I think.

I had one made by jim baker, jim has started making moderators range of calibres and fittings,
I went to see him to test fired one and i must say the Sound reduction on my rifle(22-250) was ace , i had a T8 on my rifle but this new one offers a lot better sound reduction.
It is made of stainless steel and is a sealed unit consisting of a series of welded baffles forward of the muzzle, with a large rear expansion chamber that sits over the barrel its powder coating on the out side , the powder coating can be done in any colours, jim said i could have a pink one but the best part it will not rust out , will not need cleaning and jim said the more i use it the quieter it will get.
Length x Diameter (mm): 280 x 40
Weight (grams): 600gr
Length in front of muzzle: 140mm
Length back over the barrel 140mm
give him a ring
Jim Baker Tel: (Mobile) 07733 043823
http://www.jimbakerbulletsnguns.co.uk
Mark

Back