Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it not time for a safety forum?

Obviously not so please ignore.

Perhaps a forum to help and enlighten those new to the sport with the basic safety procedures, like the one recently about a misfire, might not be a bad idea.

Those who have shot varied disciplines and through the auspices of the NRA or other body had the benefit of instruction is such basics but others who come straight into stalking may not. It could be a place of reference to learn or even brush up on safety procedures/drills.

Tips on how to deal with:-

Misfire.
    Squibs
    Hangfires
    Blocked bore or muzzle

Perhaps some basic first aid advice and tips on what to carry afield (without needing a support column )

So what does SD think of the idea?
    Last edited by Brithunter; 22-06-2012 at 08:16. Reason: Now just a slanging match.

Totally agree,
    i came to stalking after many years of full & smallbore shooting so had all the safety drilled into me at an early age.
    German stalkers where I now live have to have had basic weapons training to get their Jagdschein.
    It really is remiss of the nanny state UK that on the one hand they can ban legitimate pistol shooters with years of experience citing public safety grounds and then allow stalkers to go from having zero knowledge to get an FAC without having had formal training, dont seem to fit with the health & safety mentality. Not all stalkers are ex forces.
    Martin
    Last edited by Bavarianbrit; 21-06-2012 at 08:39.

Got to be a good idea

Referring over to the misfire thread, I think PKL's idea regards a Best Practise section has a great deal of merit - particularly the transfer to it of only 'distilled wisdom'. I know Best Practise has connotations with other schemes, but nicely moves away from being dictatorial - ie 'this is the ONLY way to do it.

I appreciate that 99% of posters to SD do so in very good faith - but often erroneous information ( eg JAYB being good looking ) does crop up and the general unintended effect is at best confusion and at worst dangerous advice.

Believe it a good idea and in best traditions of the positive side of SD - although appreciate may be implications for Admin to ponder in terms of work load, legal responsibility etc.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Perhaps a forum to help and enlighten those new to the sport with the basic safety procedures, like the one recently about a misfire, might not be a bad idea.

Those who have shot varied disciplines and through the auspices of the NRA or other body had the benefit of instruction is such basics but others who come straight into stalking may not. It could be a place of reference to learn or even brush up on safety procedures/drills.

Tips on how to deal with:-

Misfire.
    Squibs
    Hangfires
    Blocked bore or muzzle

Perhaps some basic first aid advice and tips on what to carry afield (without needing a support column )

So what does SD think of the idea?
    Yep... good call Brit

Or..........
    You could just do a DSC level 1 course which covers safety!
    MS

Yep - what a good idea!!!

Get everyone to pass a dsc level 1
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Well in my opinion you should not:

1 Have access to rifles
    2 be stalking

If you don't know how to deal with basic things like misfires.