Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: failing Level 2 assessments

failing Level 2 assessments

The following snippet recently came my way and I wondered whether anybody else might have heard of this outrageous incident.

The innocent chap in question was eager to achieve his Level 2 and apparently booked £1000 worth of tutored and assessed stalking with a 'professional'. Quite how much he was charged per outing I do not know but lets work on £200 a day. That makes a likely total of ten outings. Sufficient, I would have thought, for an almost guaranteed successful completion of his portfolio.

Not so, I'm afraid. He went away, his portfolio incomplete. So which PC did he fall short on?

Unable to follow up appropriately with a dog.

Following up with a ruddy dog?????????!!!!!!!!! When the hell did that enter the syllabus? Good to cover for future reference, no doubt, but I certainly do not recall being asked during any of my assessments "and now please use your dog to locate the fallen beast".

Please chaps, do tell me this is a one off since I have no reason to doubt the facts as they were related to me.

Angry and sad.

this seems to be more common than uncommon which is worrying, where abouts was this?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Iwrch

That's a worrying snippet. Do you have any more details? Performance criteria 2.6 asks about dispatching wounded deer humanely - it is a standard part of the assessment criteria, but even in the AW guide there is nothing specifically about "following up with dogs":

http://www.dmq.org.uk/downloads/Witn...0published.pdf

Without knowing the exact circumstances it's always difficult to draw conclusions (there are other threads talking about failings/concerns with specific AW's, so it would be interesting to know if this is the same) but if it was me, I would be seeking clarification from the Assessment body or, if needs be, DMQ themselves.

willie_gunn

This is a new one on me since when do candidates for Level 2 have to have a trained deer dog

If indeed it is true, I would suggest that the individual involved makes a formal complaint through a solicitor to DMQ. It seems that the Level 2 system is still not working in a cohesive manner, so nothing has changed !!! so I for one am not suprised.

Who judges these so called professional people who exam candidates ? anyone know ?

Again if this is a true account its just another rip off. Makes the 3 days in Scotland later this year for SD members seem all the better

Sikamalc

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Iwrch

One quick question - was this North or South of the border? I only ask as DCS has been talking about how the current assessment system doesn't test their 'Best Practice', including use of dogs, etc. see, for example:

http://www.dcs.gov.uk/downloads/C1.1...competence.pdf

sikamalc - out of interest, why would you start with formal complaint/solicitor's letter to DMQ? I would start with the estate where I'd booked the stalking, then the body I'd registered with for the DSC2. and then DMQ - although I'd likely copy DMQ on all my correspondence.

willie_gunn

dsc1 is objesctive ie questions with right or wrong answers and a pass mark

dsc2 is subjective and therefore open to abuse, i have heard stories about gaining dsc2 over a pint at the boozer and have also heard about people being made to jump through hoops to get it.
    This is going to happen, it depends on the assesers motives. I guess the best thing you can do is to choose your asseser well and for those involved in assesment to maintain a consistent high standard.

i am yet to do my dsc2. luckily i have friends that are accredited or credible witnesses so i know they will be fair. i expect they will do it right otherwise its not worth doing.

pete

clivecleaver and willie gun - this happened in a country to the south of your border and to the east of ours. The AW was acting independently of an estate and therefore, in terms of professional conduct, answerable to no one with regard to their behaviour.

Sikamalc – I wish you well with the SD exercise. This sounds a most worthy enterprise and, I’m sure, will prove a great success.

Pete Evans - Quite so. Unfortunately, in this instance the poor chap thought he was buying the best - good website, good CV, all very professional looking. Good luck with your own Level 2. I'm sure you are in good hands.

There is, I believe, a simple way out of the mess that Level 2 has become. It may involve a little more bureaucracy but, in the light of rip-offs such as this, I believe essential if the standard is to be maintained. All it would require would be prior notification to DMQ of your intention to attempt a witnessed stalk and the noting with them of the person who will act as your witness. At the conclusion of the session, regardless of whether the individual was successful or not, both parties would draft brief, individual summaries of the session and submit them to DMQ for their attention. It wouldn’t avoid the type of collusion to which Pete refers, but it would surely put an end to thieving numpties fleecing the unsuspecting individual as happened in this particular instance.

Who judges these so called professional people who exam candidates ? anyone know ?

That is the problem in my opinion and why it should be scrapped until it is properly adjudicated.

Any other qualification worth having is properly adjudicated and hence why the certificate you recieve currently for level 2 is not worth the paper it is written on even if you have completed it "properly".

It has no value what so ever at the moment and until it is reviewed will remain that way.

Reading about instances like this doesn`t give much incentive for anyone to even consider doing their level 2 does it?
    basil.

Reading about instances like this doesn`t give much incentive for anyone to even consider doing their level 2 does it?
    basil.