Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick up my lab pup tomorrow BUT !!

Pick up my lab pup tomorrow BUT !!

What about the weather. Pouring with rain today up here in scotland and looks like the same for tomorrow when i pick him up. The pup is 8weeks, do i put him in the kennel with the weather crap or keep him in the utility room until it brightens up. Hes kenneld at the moment but with his siblings and a think i would feel quite bad with him outside when the weathers like this. What do yous think. Thanks
    FS25

Inside, 10000%. They need warmth, comfort and lots of support at that point. there's no second first impressions as they say.

Was thinking that mate, prob wait until hes between 4 and 6 mnths. Will put him out for a bit during the day though to familiar himself with it. Thanks for a sensible reply.
    FS25

I always keep my pups close by at 8 weeks to help ensure a good bond and because I start training them immediately with sit, down and fetch. But if need be, your pup would be fine in the kennel as long as there is shelter and a dry warm bed. Usually a dogbox so they can warm the space with their own body heat. I know many a working dog that have never been in the house. They only leave the kennel for excercise and work. But personally, I love to nap on the couch with a puppy snoozing on my chest. Enjoy your new pup Fife!

Quote Originally Posted by Fifestalker25 View Post
    Was thinking that mate, prob wait until hes between 4 and 6 mnths. Will put him out for a bit during the day though to familiar himself with it. Thanks for a sensible reply.
    FS25
    You may well find it a lot harder to get him used to the kennel at 6 month old after being kept in the house. To me that would be a bigger shock to the system. Do you have any other dogs outside in the kennels already?

You are going to be faced with that many opinions that it wont really help at all, but personally I would have him outside immediately. Bring him into the house when it suits but back out at night to 'his' space. You are also reaffirming that you are in charge and its up to you when he gets his freedom. May sound daft but its all part of the pecking order being established, especially if you have kids or a wife who is just going to spoil him regardless!

Its 10deg here today, that is not cold providing its out of any breeze in a well built wooden kennel for a lab pup. The acclimatising by being outside will stand him well for working in all conditions in the future and ensure a good casting and re-growth of coat in the different seasons...

The pup is 8weeks
    I'd have him inside, for a few weeks at least. He's at a very impressionable stage from 8-12 weeks and it's a good chance to form a really strong bond with him. If he's ultimately to go in a kennel, I'd suggest getting a puppy crate/cage and using that as his living quarters in the house for a few weeks, it will make for an easier transition when he's ready to go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    You may well find it a lot harder to get him used to the kennel at 6 month old after being kept in the house. To me that would be a bigger shock to the system. Do you have any other dogs outside in the kennels already?

You are going to be faced with that many opinions that it wont really help at all, but personally I would have him outside immediately. Bring him into the house when it suits but back out at night to 'his' space. You are also reaffirming that you are in charge and its up to you when he gets his freedom. May sound daft but its all part of the pecking order being established, especially if you have kids or a wife who is just going to spoil him regardless!

Its 10deg here today, that is not cold providing its out of any breeze in a well built wooden kennel for a lab pup. The acclimatising by being outside will stand him well for working in all conditions in the future and ensure a good casting and re-growth of coat in the different seasons...
    Did have a spaniel but had to put him down so the pup will be alone at night. Im an estate worker so live where i work so will be back and forward throughout the day untill he gets his jags and can come to work. The kennel is an old out building which i have made a box bed inside so its all draft free ect. Just didnt want to see the poor wee thing standing at the kennel door with the rain dripping down lol. Will see what the weathers like tomorrow. Cheers

Did have a spaniel but had to put him down so the pup will be alone at night. Im an estate worker so live where i work so will be back and forward throughout the day untill he gets his jags and can come to work. The kennel is an old out building which i have made a box bed inside so its all draft free ect. Just didnt want to see the poor wee thing standing at the kennel door with the rain dripping down lol. Will see what the weathers like tomorrow. Cheers
    An 8 week old pup is an expert at pulling the heart strings, they even make doing a crap on the kitchen floor look cute...

My first Lab went straight to the kennel without any problem ,it was October of that year.

I've seen it -10 and the dogs being happier outside than inside,start as you mean to go on,labs have a good coat,it's mild at this time of year,as long as the pup is dry and draft free no problem chuck it outside you'll have a better dog at the end of it.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports