Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Care of sound moderators.

Care of sound moderators.

Came across this link which might be of help to others who haven't seen it.

http://www.ivythornsporting.co.uk/co...#top_care_tips

I don't use moderators through choice, and have no idea who this RFD is. He might be a member on here for all I know, but it's a useful and informative piece.

There is another point worth mentioning about the care of moderated rifles. Those which are fired in quick succession are more at risk of heat erosion because of the lagging effect of the sleeve. This erosion is where the barrel steel is literally washed out by flame temperatures which are (momentarily) much higher than the melting point of steel. OK this applies to all rifles, but bare barrels cool down much quicker than 'insulated' ones. I've seen some people fire a box or two within 10-15 minutes during sighting in with new rifles/new mods, sometimes both. When clearing weapons on the firing line you can't touch the barrel or chamber,or you take the skin off your fingers.

What nobody knows as a buyer of any rifle is how it's been treated or cared for. Round 'counts' and age are useful pointers if you trust the seller, but there's no way of identifying a rapidly-fired rifle from any other.... yet moderated rifles actually encourage this practice because they're comparatively quiet and recoil free. Personally I wouldn't buy a secondhand rifle which had been fitted with a moderator, but it's a cop out for me because I don't believe in mods. If I did it would have to be factory-threaded, and brand new. Now you can all have your say ....
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Account Suspended
    hi the owner, of ivythorn sporting is steve beaty he is without doubt the man to go to if your after a good second hand rifle or anything else no b*** sh*t just offer you good honest advice be it rifle- moderators or ammo

I Ruined both barrel and sound mod on my 22.250 in a two year period by not removing sound mod. Border barrel and sound mod replaced, lesson learnt.

Have heard that putting WD40 in the mod can cause inaccurate shots when you fire it next? Not sure whether this is true or not (probably depends on how much you squirt in?).

Has anyone experienced accuracy issues from squirting in WD as suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Have heard that putting WD40 in the mod can cause inaccurate shots when you fire it next? Not sure whether this is true or not (probably depends on how much you squirt in?).

Has anyone experienced accuracy issues from squirting in WD as suggested?
    The WD is used to dispell moisture from the moderator after being fired and when the rifle is stored the mod should be removed to stop corrosion in the barrel. I have not had any accuracy problems with using WD in my T8's.

Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo 30 06 View Post
    The WD is used to dispell moisture from the moderator after being fired and when the rifle is stored the mod should be removed to stop corrosion in the barrel. I have not had any accuracy problems with using WD in my T8's.

Jimbo
    Thanks jimbo,
    Just something i was told, and being quite new to CF rifles was unsure of the best thing to do. Obviously don't want my mod rusted thru as they are costly to replace, but didn't want to see my 1st shot (usually the most important one) go astray.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Thanks jimbo,
    Just something i was told, and being quite new to CF rifles was unsure of the best thing to do. Obviously don't want my mod rusted thru as they are costly to replace, but didn't want to see my 1st shot (usually the most important one) go astray.

Mike
    The maintenance instructions for the T8 states that they must have WD or similar sprayed down them after each use. What i do is spray the mod liberaly and stand it verticle so that the WD runs down to the bullet exit end then turn upside down and let the WD run out so that next time it is used it has dried out. Hope this helps.

Jimbo

WD40 does make a horrible smell if there is a residue when the mod is next used. I have wondered if there is an alternative.

Does anyone put there mod in an ultrasonic cleaner? What fluid do you use?

I am sorry but as far as I am concerned a mod that requires a volatile liquid like WD40 to be sprayed into it so it does not rot away is a poor idea and asking for trouble.

Also fail to see what someone would not remove the moderator on a centrefire rifle . I can only assume people never clean their rifles and so ask for all the trouble and expense they incur.

Sorry I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. I followed the makers instructions to clean my moderator which involved washing up liquid and hot water then a light greasing of the "O" rings and threads.

Steve B gets thumbs up from us - we had a customer for a rifle that we directed to Steve. Customer was a little perplexed by this devious marketing ploy of directing him to spend large sum of cash elsewhere! But Steve best placed to sort him out - and he did not fail to impress.

After reading the various internet posts many customers give me a rather blank look when I explain best care practise - which I back up by showing them the instruction booklet. I would hazard that many moderators are actually 'over maintained' which paradoxically contributes to a shorter working life on occasion. If ever in doubt, speak to the manufacturer/ official importer.

There can be clues to how a rifle has been treated. The most conclusive is a good bore scope - not entirely practical for most individuals. But doing a Sherlock H on the exterior can be revealing. Equally chatting ( not interrogating ) to the previous owner - if it transpires he's an avid participant in Mad Minute matches for example!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017