Primers

RPA 6MM BR

Hi Guys, i have just been to my RFD to get some reloading supplies but he did'nt have my usual "Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum" primers for my 7mm Rem Mag and instead only had Federal Magnum 215 primers. I will obviously carry out zero tests but would you expect any ballistic differences?

Hi Guys, i have just been to my RFD to get some reloading supplies but he did'nt have my usual "Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum" primers for my 7mm Rem Mag and instead only had Federal Magnum 215 primers. I will obviously carry out zero tests but would you expect any ballistic differences?

No. Not really any ballistic differences. Accuracy, perhaps; Some guns are fussy. I have a 7mm that willl double group size switching from Remington to Winchester. As both brands are Federal, I'm expecting differences will be minimal.~Muir

why magnum primers i have 7mm rem mag and most of reloading books dont say use magnum primers just standard large primer your thoughs on this thanks

i shoot the short magnums 7 wsm and saum and i use non mag primer ie 210 match primers or br2 s you dont always need a mag primer in a mag case
i found the groups opened up with the mags

i have never used the standard large primers in my 7mm gun shop handed me mag primers so i thought that was all you could use with the 7mm rem mag but every load data i find states large primers not magnum il give them a go eneything that tightens group size will be a bonus thanks

I have been tempted to use the BR2's in the past as they are quite a hot primer but personally i would not use a standard run of the mill large rifle primer, its a large column of powder to get a nice clean even burn and standard primers may not consistantly provide the spark thats needed. As for the groups opening up, with the Federal Gold Medal Match Magums my custom rifle shot so well i dont think a different primer could improve it, i have shot 2.5" groups at times at 600 yards so for me with manual human error involved i was more than happy with that. I am just concerned about having changed to Federal Champion Magnum primers it could have changed my loads performance from the load i developed? I will report back when i have had one evening this week to shoot some of the loaded rounds i have made using these primers.

Back