Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what time you head out

what time you head out

what time you guys up north or south scotland head out in the morning for a stalk at the moment.

was going to set the alarm for 5am tomorrow, but just started thinking I should probably turn that forwards to nearer 4am?.......mind, most of my bucks in the past have been shot between 6:25 and 7:30am, even in high summer..

remember, after the 21st the days are starting to draw in...

(what a bloody depressing thought...)

I know, it's still winter!..or autumn came early!

Depends how far you have to travel you want to be on the ground by 4.00 am at the moment

Central belt - so I'm usually out for 5.30ish or first light - whichever comes first.
    I've shot all my beast between 7.00 and 9.30ish.

Looking at the forecast doubt if I'll be out tomorrow although I'll wait 'til this evening to decide.

Ed

I wonder how many people actually shoot anything in the first hour of light.

The only thing I ever shoot in that period is muntjac.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    what time you guys up north or south scotland head out in the morning for a stalk at the moment.

was going to set the alarm for 5am tomorrow, but just started thinking I should probably turn that forwards to nearer 4am?.......mind, most of my bucks in the past have been shot between 6:25 and 7:30am, even in high summer..
    Tomorrow's sunrise time in Inverness is 04:18hrs. Therefore, you can shoot there lawfully, without a night permit from 03:18hrs.

Personally, I'd set the alarm for 4. Having said that I came back in at 6 this morning after going out the door at 03:30 hrs, when the rain finally stopped here. Does a plenty but, of course, not a buck to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    I wonder how many people actually shoot anything in the first hour of light..
    If it wasn't raining (again) I would set the alarm for 2:30am. I agree I don't often shoot something at first light, but it's nice and peaceful then. I did have a buck barking furiously at me the other day at lunchtime. Regards JCS

I start at 3:45am just getting light at D&G.

Ed 5.30ish I am not much further north than you and its daylight at 4,00 am here, like to be on the ground by full daylight don't like moving around in half light to easy to bump them, would say the majority of my bucks would be shot about an hour after daylight.

9.30 would hope to be home breakfasted and beasts lardered by that time, at this time of year on the ground for 4.00am that means for me 3.00am rise clients are paying outing fee based on three hours so back to base usually
    by 8.00am will stretch it a bit if they have been unlucky but 9.30 am is a bit much that would be a five and a half hour outing at this time of year plus traveling time to and from the clients digs, would add another hour on to that
    would need to increase charges quite a bit to cover that sort of time.

However if its your own stalking you can of course spend as much time as you like, however while you can get bucks out at that time of day, the first or last three hours of the day are the most productive and I tend to stick to those times.

The exception is during the rut when calling during the day can produce good results , but its made clear to clients if they wish to try , its instead of a morning or evening stalk not as well as, unless of course the wish to pay extra, even then I am not that keen as it makes for very long day, which would be OK if it was only a day but at that time of year, I would be out every day.