Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending FAC with Variation

Sending FAC with Variation

I would appreciate any help, basically I will be putting in for a variation next week,after speaking on the phone to NWP I'm advised to send my FAC in together with variation forms and cheque.

My concern is if I send my current FAC am I in fact committing an offence by not having a FAC on my person?
    My idea was to send it recorded delivery and keep a coloured photocopy, just in case I'm stopped or I want ammunition etc.

any advice would be welcomed cheers.

I've always just kept a photocopy on me, if they have a question of originality, they can phone the office processing it and cross check that they do indeed have an original that matches. You just can't purchase any ammo or firearms on a copy of course.

black and white, no need for colour copies. to be honest, I don't send recorded either, if it gets lost they can reissue it, I just call and check it's been received a week later, which also works as a cheeky nudge nudge AKA get the F on with it.

cheers for that PKL.I can't praise NWP enough for their politeness and swift turnaround on my shotgun renewal.
    I was going to make a copy for my own peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    I would appreciate any help, basically I will be putting in for a variation next week,after speaking on the phone to NWP I'm advised to send my FAC in together with variation forms and cheque.

My concern is if I send my current FAC am I in fact committing an offence by not having a FAC on my person?
    My idea was to send it recorded delivery and keep a coloured photocopy, just in case I'm stopped or I want ammunition etc.

As I understand it you will not be committing an offence as you will still have a current FAC but you have to send it to get a variation. Keep a copy of it but this has no legal standing at all, you could have your guns siezed by a police officer until you produce the original and you cannot buy ammunition. Sorry to be so negative on this but this is yet another shortcoming of the Firearms Act. Perhaps if more of us were to write to our M.P.'s about this sort of thing the situation could be remedied.atb Tim

this is farcical,
    if you accidentally put your FAC through the wash you are NOT automatically now "in possession without a license"!
    You do not HAVE to send it. It makes no difference, they have all the info.

either:
    a) keep it, to be used to purchase ammo whilst the application is being processed, you only have a print of a digital copy as it is anyway
    the original is simply swapped for the new one when ready.

or

b) keep a photocopy and send the original.

2 further things.
    1) you can still buy ammo without a hard copy of your FAC if you have a kind force. L&B just asked the RFD to ring them and they would add the details over the phone. RFD was happy as were FLO
    2) you are not required to have your FAC on your person at any time anymore than you are to have your driving license. No-one (that i am aware of...and I spend waaaay too much time researching firearms law and case history!) with a valid FAC has had guns seized for the sole reason that they could not produce their FAC hard copy on the spot!
    Last edited by bewsher500; 22-06-2012 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post

Hi, I was told the opposite by Kent, to surrender my licence once Im in reciept of replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    this is farcical,
    if you accidentally put your FAC through the wash you are NOT automatically now "in possession without a license"!
    You do not HAVE to send it. It makes no difference, they have all the info.

either:
    a) keep it, to be used to purchase ammo whilst the application is being processed, you only have a print of a digital copy as it is anyway
    the original is simply swapped for the new one when ready.

or

b) keep a photocopy and send the original.

2 further things.
    1) you can still buy ammo without a hard copy of your FAC if you have a kind force. L&B just asked the RFD to ring them and they would add the details over the phone. RFD was happy as were FLO
    2) you are not required to have your FAC on your person at any time anymore than you are to have your driving license. No-one (that i am aware of...and I spend waaaay too much time researching firearms law and case history!) with a valid FAC has had guns seized for the sole reason that they could not produce their FAC hard copy on the spot!
    Ed

It happened to one of the guys on Pigeon Watch last year... pulled over on his way home from foxing (iirc), officer knew he was a shooter as he immediately asked him if he had firearms on board... his .223 was seized as he didn't have his ticket with him and he only got it back a few days later when he had to make a trip into the station with his FAC!!

Can't remember which force it was

"this is farcical,
    You do not HAVE to send it. It makes no difference, they have all the info."

I would disagree with you there Brewsher, the license is still in force it is just that the actual paper copy would have been destroyed in the wash.
    Gelert needs to return his certificate for variation because they don't always replace the actual certificate, often they will delaminate it, make the necessary amendments/variation, and then relaminate the document for return to the shooter.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As i understand it,you must send your FAC(keep a copy)otherwise when they send the variation you will be in possession of two FAC,thats a problem too.......so I always just photocopy and send original,RECORDED DELIVERY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    "this is farcical,
    You do not HAVE to send it. It makes no difference, they have all the info."

I would disagree with you there Brewsher, the license is still in force it is just that the actual paper copy would have been destroyed in the wash.
    Gelert needs to return his certificate for variation because they don't always replace the actual certificate, often they will delaminate it, make the necessary amendments/variation, and then relaminate the document for return to the shooter.
    that would be "agreeing" with me. That what I said.
    The license is issued and regardless of it's physical state you are still a "Licenced Firearms holder"

As for the guy on Pigeon Watch, i dont know the details but I would be sending a rocket direct to the Chief Constable and demanding the officer be reprimanded, without further reason to secure the firearms on what grounds is he taking them?
    The invention of the radio allows him with proper ID to get the holder's inside leg measurement and GCSE grades if he wanted, I would have thought it would have been pretty simple to prove his FAC ownership. why was he pulled? how did he deal with the situation? don't believe everything you read on PW!

And NO he doesnt need to send it in, speak to his FLO and if he wants to swap them in person or send it in when ready he is perfectly entitled to!
    I have now done this in 3 regions, 2 in England and 1 in Scotland.
    If you require your hard copy FAC for ammunition purchase, proof for work etc they will not force you to send it it.
    they simply wont send out the new one until the old one is in.

and how the hell do they delaminate it!

Would you let them take your car because you didn't have a valid license, insurance and MOT certificate on you?