Thread: T8 or T4?

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar

T8 or T4?

Is the extra weight and length of the T8 worthwhile (I'm shooting a Tikka 695M 25-06) for the sake of a couple of shots per day when stalking? or should I go T4 (yes I know there are loads of other makes of mod out there....) and for the sake of interest what would be the effect of lopping a couple of inches of the barrel (currentl 20")? Likely ranges out to 200-250m max in reality, shooting fedearal 120gr or hornady 117gr which my usual choice - though a homeload is in the offing soon.

I'd ask, is a 'mod' worth it! often you'll have time to pop a pair of plugs in your ears unless woodland stalking or similar.

MS

A couple of comments. I wouldn't have a T8 or T4, I traded my T8 in for an AU-S5 and have since upgraded that to an AU-SL5. My shooting improved when I went to a T8 and it improved again when I went to the AU-S5. Secondly, 20 inches is already short for a .25-06, so I would be wary of shortening it further. If you scan the Sako/Ruger/other manufacturer's websites, you will see typical .25-06 barrel lengths for stalking rifles. I can't remember how long the Ruger .25-06 I had measured, but I suspect it was ~23 inches.

Regards JCS

If you're going to buy a T8 or a T4 then you might as well buy the T8. However, I saw and heard one of the new riflecraft mods the other day and was very impressed! Unbelievably light too!

DEER OH DEER MUDDY WHATS A FEW EXTRA GRAMS YOU HAVE NO NEED TO RUN ROUND ASS SLOWLY SLOWLY ALWAYS CATCHY MONKEY GET YOUR SELF A MUZZLE BRAKE IF WEIGHTS AN ISSUE AT LEAST I WILL KNOW WHERE YOU ARE

Quote Originally Posted by goseany View Post
    If you're going to buy a T8 or a T4 then you might as well buy the T8. However, I saw and heard one of the new riflecraft mods the other day and was very impressed! Unbelievably light too!
    Pretty good chance that'll be Hardy Gen 111. I have one on my 695 ( also a 25.06 ) Very light, quiet and robust. Build quality is superb. If you are sold on a T8 or T4 I am sure you will be delighted. If not have a look around, ask a few questions and pick the one you like.

You can then contribute to the debates as to which moderator is best !

I have had a T4 for almost 10 years now great mod and no different (noiseier ) than a T8 to the mark 1 human lug hole

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Smaller the better really, for the sake a of a couple of shots per day, like to have a strippable mod, as the T8 I cutrrently have sounds like a pepper pot most of the time and is a big numb lump.....third eye tactical spartan?

I have two T8s, I have found on the very odd occasion that I have been able to take a free hand shot because of the balance afforded by the weighted muzzle.Also the T8 is an over barrel type moderator that in effect does not protrude that much anyway, and as for weight you do not notice it really unless you are on a nature ramble of several miles.

hi go t8 .i have got 223 243 with t8 goin for 308 with t8 my hornet with t4 .