Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms advice/law

Firearms advice/law

What about inviting any, or all 43 Police Force Legal dept to reply to our site queries, or invite a representative from ACPO to be a resident sounding board for all our concerns over the various firearms legalities. Then we will get it from the horses mouth ie: Q: what if I do this with a firearm etc....etc what are the implications?? A: dear member the law as it stands is this............

WE can all then carry out our sport/activities in the safe knowledge, and if stopped by an over enthusiastic Officer can give him/her chapter and verse the advice given by their own Force. Good plan Stan, or not Dot

I shall standby for some interesting answers

patrickt

I think the answer is YES YES YES....

If you can get an FEO on here then that would be fantastic!

It wouldn't work Patrick because you would have at least 43 different answers to each question with some forces probably giving you more than one answer depending on which FEO answered the question. You would also get answers like it says da da da in the Home Office guidance to police but that is only guidance and as force policy we say bla bla bla.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Cant ever see it happening but it would be a good idea if possible.

Personally i've quite a few questions i'd like to ask people re applying for my FAC etc, currently working my way through the back posts in this section to see if they have been covered before.

It would be good to have the horse, as it were to ask, however I get the feeling the poor person answering the questions would be so swamped they would want to spend the rest of the year hiding under the bed!

Cheers
    Pete

Account Suspended
    Hmm!

I think you might be falling into the trap of imagining that it is up to the Police to decide what the roolz is.

I agree with 8by. For most questions you would get as many answers as there are forces, often more!

On a practical note, I can't see any of the forces allocating resources to answering questions on here. Can you imagine how loud we'd shout if our renewal took too long, and when asked why the force said "we diverted a member of staff to answering forum questions so things are taking a bit longer"

Also, I know of many occasions where the answer an FEO or FLD staffer has given has been contrary to settled law and could have landed someone in a whole lot of hot water.

If our firearms law was proper law, in that it was laid down in writing and not made up on the spot by the licencing industry, then it would work well, though there might be others better qualified to advise (lawyers dealing with firearms law maybe, or a spokesperson for the firearms department of one of the shooting organisations). In fact, rather than an FEO/FLD answering the questions, maybe one of the BASC team could advise?

There are several on here who know a lot about the law as it stands. I'm ok at tracking down relevant legislation but I don't have a legal background so sometimes some of the subtleties of legalese, and the highly specific meanings of some words used, passes me by.

Tam, I think that's the same trap that the police fall into with respect to firearms. In fact with the discretion given to the chief officer to apply conditions, with no recourse or appeal, that's exactly what the situation is!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Hmm!

I think you might be falling into the trap of imagining that it is up to the Police to decide what the roolz is.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Tam, I think that's the same trap that the police fall into with respect to firearms. In fact with the discretion given to the chief officer to apply conditions, with no recourse or appeal, that's exactly what the situation is!
    I would think that it would be better,usually get a far more accurate and considered response when the know its going to be quoted and published in writing.............

Good replies up to now boys, however I did say legal dept, not wishing to denegrate FEO.s and the like the are just that, I mean the Lawyers (Solicitors & Barristers employed by the Force, interesting if you get 43 different answers!! you can have 43 defences to the same offence (if it went that far)