Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hernia?

Hernia?

Hi all, after some advice

Been to look at a bitch pup today that we are contemplating buying.

The pup (5 weeks old) has a hernia on its/on the site of the belly button. The breeder advised it was caused by its mum been a bit rough with it when it was born and pulling at the placenta and that there are no health implications with this.

Just wondering if anyone could confirm/shed any light on this.

Thanks all

Neil

my old spaniel had the same, it went away, as he reached 3 months, failing that an easy op to fix it,

This is right. But when we breed a litter we give the pup away on the understanding that the hernia will be put right at the expence of the new owner. Like this there is no come back and the new owner get a very cheap pup but the responsability of the op and after care. At the very least the breeder should knock the price of the op off and then some.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Thanks for the replies
    Could this be hereditary ? and would / could it cause problems down the line?

Thanks

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Thanks for the replies
    Could this be hereditary ? and would / could it cause problems down the line?

Thanks

Neil
    I would say no. Its simply due to the bitch being a bit rough with them while chewing the cord off.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Umbilical hernia is regarded as a hereditary defect, it won't be due to mum being a bit rough. The size can vary - how big is this one? If they are about the size of your little finger, it may be nothing to worry about. The hernial ring remains the same size, but the dog grows so the relative size of the hernia reduces and some can effectively disappear. I always warn owners to monitor the area as, theoretically, intestine can protrude through and may become trapped. I've never seen it happen though.
    It can be repaired easily when spaying her - which most vets would recommend because of its hereditary nature.

it was about 12mm, Would have wanted a litter

Thanks

Neil

As Buchan says. I was also advised to get it sorted and speyed at the same time to prevent breeding and carrying on a hereditary thing.
    In this case it was the runt of the litter and nobody wanted it, even for free, so my wife took it.
    It was from pedigree working stock and turned out to be one of my best dogs.
    The only down side was that, so the vet reckoned, it's coat was thick and curly like a lamb and I had to shear her twice a year at least. The vet reckoned that was a result of being speyed.
    This is the one on the left that was speyed at the same time as the hernia stitched up.
    Last edited by EMcC; 23-06-2012 at 13:32.

Nice pictures. It was the hereditary part that was my main concern

Thanks

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Nice pictures. It was the hereditary part that was my main concern Thanks Neil
    Thanks for the compliments.
    It seems we have had some conflicting info posted here so I don't know what to believe but as I was advised by a very good Vet I went ahead.
    Shame really, as I say she turned out to be my best dog and I could have sold litter after litter if I had bred from her that was based on people seeing her work and approaching me.