Hernia?

simo

Hi all, after some advice

Been to look at a bitch pup today that we are contemplating buying.

The pup (5 weeks old) has a hernia on its/on the site of the belly button. The breeder advised it was caused by its mum been a bit rough with it when it was born and pulling at the placenta and that there are no health implications with this.

Just wondering if anyone could confirm/shed any light on this.

Thanks all

Neil

This is right. But when we breed a litter we give the pup away on the understanding that the hernia will be put right at the expence of the new owner. Like this there is no come back and the new owner get a very cheap pup but the responsability of the op and after care. At the very least the breeder should knock the price of the op off and then some.

Mark

Thanks for the replies
Could this be hereditary ? and would / could it cause problems down the line?

Thanks

Neil

Umbilical hernia is regarded as a hereditary defect, it won't be due to mum being a bit rough. The size can vary - how big is this one? If they are about the size of your little finger, it may be nothing to worry about. The hernial ring remains the same size, but the dog grows so the relative size of the hernia reduces and some can effectively disappear. I always warn owners to monitor the area as, theoretically, intestine can protrude through and may become trapped. I've never seen it happen though.
It can be repaired easily when spaying her - which most vets would recommend because of its hereditary nature.

As Buchan says. I was also advised to get it sorted and speyed at the same time to prevent breeding and carrying on a hereditary thing.
In this case it was the runt of the litter and nobody wanted it, even for free, so my wife took it.
It was from pedigree working stock and turned out to be one of my best dogs.
The only down side was that, so the vet reckoned, it's coat was thick and curly like a lamb and I had to shear her twice a year at least. The vet reckoned that was a result of being speyed.
This is the one on the left that was speyed at the same time as the hernia stitched up.
Barleyincar-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures. It was the hereditary part that was my main concern

Thanks

Neil

Nice pictures. It was the hereditary part that was my main concern Thanks Neil

Thanks for the compliments.
It seems we have had some conflicting info posted here so I don't know what to believe but as I was advised by a very good Vet I went ahead.
Shame really, as I say she turned out to be my best dog and I could have sold litter after litter if I had bred from her that was based on people seeing her work and approaching me.

Yes its always the way. The breeder has been back in touch the bitch without the hernia was available. She had said that the older sister from the same parents had had one and was not a problem they had it fixed when she was spayed. There were at least 4 of 9 pups with them and one we know of from the first litter.
been in contact with a breeder he had said that one in a litter probably a rough bitch and half a litter was a worry so in two litters must be hereditary.
So we will be giving them a miss as we would want to have a litter,

Thanks for all the replies

Neil

Got a Weimaraner bitch 4 1/2 years old now she has had a small hernea as you describe, her mother had one and yes it is hereditary, just monitored mine and some times you can hardly see it, never caused any problems and vet is happy with it at annual check up / vaccination time every year.
Have taken some advise as I'm looking to breed my bitch now and have been told don't worry or let it put me off breeding from her. As stated if required an easy operation, but obviously a bargening tool for a discount,
Wingy

Well you learn something every day. I was alway told that it was the bitch well in the vast majority of cases. Bred a bitch twice in the last 2 years 8 in the first litter 9 in the second , not a sign in any except one dog pup and none in any of the others in the line that I know of. Stiil as I say you live and learn.

Mark

, not a sign in any except one dog pup and none in any of the others

and thank god for that, otherwise Sir Gatsby would (AKA Wee Man :love:) would not be part of our family today. at the mature age of 17 weeks he had already tracked a shot rabbit through grass (for fun), keenly been smelling roe deer and trying to steal bites off the gralloch and trimmings, and lately, grabbed a shot roe and given it a peice of his mind. Once the 'formal' training begins, I'm in no doubt he'll be the best deer dog on this side of the border...I just hope if we go independent he won't be forced to leave! LOL.

Back