Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: risk assesment

risk assesment

hi,
    i,ve searched through looking for a risk assesment and have found 1 or 2 for deer stalking but i,m looking for 1 to cover all shooting in general, i.e. rabbit,crows,fox and deer. any help on where i could down load 1 would be great.
    many thanks in advance stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

stav use this template it works for us. Back Page

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ing-Urban-Deer

Basc do one, its about 20 pages long

thanks 6 pointer that will do the job spot on,
    bobt as you know i,m a scaffolder and have all on reading spot the dog nevermind 20 pages of big words.lol.
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

are you meant to read it?
    or hold it until needed.

Im in the process of applying for a FC lease. Dose anyone have a template which cover open hill stalking, lamping, larder, atv's etc.
    My computer wont allow me to use the link that 6pointer provided.

One bit of advice that will at least suggest you have some idea of what is required for a RA to me meaningful:

The words are "site" and "task specific".

If a contractor/service provider presents me with a generic set of RAMS I tell them to either take a hike or allow me to explain over breakfast at the Mayfair Hotel.

Ask FC for a guided tour of the would-be leased land. They cannot refuse and should be impressed.

Cheers

K

I know the site and i know the tasks to be carried out. Open hill with conifer woodlands. Shoot deer day and night, extract with ATV and prep carcasses at a FC larder.
    The paper work dose my head it. Surly there can be a risk assessment that can be altered to suit every stalkers requirements!
    Im buggered if im going to sit and type out a full risk assessment specifically for and by myself. Copy paste anyone please!

It has been my (considerable) experience that most people who demand a risk assessment have neither the ability to 'read' it nor have they actually any interest in its content. They simply want a piece of paper with the word Risk Assessment on it so that they can tick a box. The truth is that whilst the FC request these from private individuals there is no legal requirement to provide them. However, you want the stalking you're pretty much over a barrel.

The FC once sent me their assessments and I critiqued them and sent them back with copies of my own. They actually asked me if I would come and run a course for them.

Risk assessments are an important tool under the right circumstances and this scenario really does make a mockery of them. I would send what you can and let them decide rather than agonise over detail. If they don't like them, they'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    The truth is that whilst the FC request these from private individuals there is no legal requirement to provide them. However, you want the stalking you're pretty much over a barrel.

Risk assessments are an important tool under the right circumstances and this scenario really does make a mockery of them. I would send what you can and let them decide rather than agonise over detail. If they don't like them, they'll tell you.
    Chris- Sorry you are incorrect. The FC under the Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974 Section 2&3 have to ensure that anyone either in their employment (S2) or not in their employment (S3) are safe and not affected by their work practices. They require to assess all risks under the Management Regs and in so doing request this from stalkers, contractors or anyone entering their ground to carry out an undertaking.

Deer stalkers entering anyones ground (except their own privately owned ground unless commercial) regardless if they are employed or not are classed by HSE as carrying out an 'undertaking' and as such are employees whom require to comply with UK H&S legilsation. RAs and Method Statements only requires to be written down where 5 or more are involved (i.e a Syndicate) or where the Principal in this case the FC request it. The part I cannot understand is if an incident were to occur and you have under 5, how do you satisfy HSE that the RAs/MSs were suitable and sufficient if they are not written down.

As Klenchblaize has stated they have to be site specific and task based and not generic. Yet they do not need to be 'war and peace' length, but do require to consider the significant hazards such as lone working, firearms use, ATVs, manual handling, chainsaw use (if permitted), Lyme disease/TB, sever weather, night shooting etc

In terms of JimBOB's post as he is applying for a lease the RA will count towards his score and if it is not correct the FC will not tell him and simply mark him down potentially resulting in non qualification to interview.