Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Cocker Spaniel for Tracking

  1. #1

    Cocker Spaniel for Tracking

    I have a couple of cockers which are trained for the usual shotgun work. The elder one in particular is very steady and I was wondering if there is any chance of training them for deer work. If so is there a good book or DVD which anybody can recommend and is there anything in particular which I should be aware of. Many thanks

  2. #2
    Biffa
    I had a cocker trained to find deer and I ran him for 8-9 years no problem and Miffi on here runs a cocker bitch who will take on Sika Stags PM me if you want any advice.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

  3. #3
    I'm training mine for deer currently, she's 8 months old, and already fantastic on a scent, quite a bit of refinement required, but she is still a puppy. Great dogs, and so keen to learn.

  4. #4
    Hiya I use both my cockers for deer as well as rough shooting their both stars. A lot of so called experts say spaniels are too mad ,mine are both toons but only when I need them to be.A good bookis Training dogs for woodland deer stalking by guy wallace it's not much more than 10 if that hope that helps get in touch if you want baz

  5. #5
    Any dog can be pretty much trained to do anything, to a degree. But if dogs are not used in the arena they were specifically bred for then there is a point where they will fail, and dogs bred for that purpose will succeed.

    I own Cockers and labs, a GWP and a Hanoverien Scenthound. Every one was bred for a specific purpose, the labs for retrieving, the Cockers for hunting the GWP a bit of everything, and the HS for tracking wounded deer. My HS brings stuff back to me, the cocker retrieves as well, the lab hunts heavy cover...... But not as well as each of the dogs bred for each purpose.

    I don't think anyone has said a spaniel is too mad to be used on deer. I think they are very clever wee dogs. Its their manner of working/hunting that I don't think is ideal for deer. Nor asking them to sit still for 2hrs under a highseat.

    However, the question was is it possible to use them on deer? the answer is obviously yes. Are they the best breed for that purpose? The answer is no. because at some point they will fail on a track where other breeds will succeed.

    Casting a dog off to hunt wild across a field for a deer lying there dead will not be a problem for a cocker. Asking it to follow a lengthy trail without blood over several hours and considerable distance I think eventually will be.

    Good luck regardless, great wee dogs...
    Last edited by jamross65; 24-06-2012 at 18:24.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    hi mj robson . Mind if i ask what is classed as does the job well . Regards Widu.




    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND, AND NEVER TO YIELD.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by biffa View Post
    I have a couple of cockers which are trained for the usual shotgun work. The elder one in particular is very steady and I was wondering if there is any chance of training them for deer work. If so is there a good book or DVD which anybody can recommend and is there anything in particular which I should be aware of. Many thanks
    Suggest you buy:

    1 training dogs for woodland stalking by Guy Wallace (but do not put salt in your blood!)
    2 Working with dogs for deer by Niels Sondergaard

    Good luck

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by widu View Post
    hi mj robson . Mind if i ask what is classed as does the job well . Regards Widu.




    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND, AND NEVER TO YIELD.
    I guess it means he finds deer.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Any dog can be pretty much trained to do anything, to a degree. But if dogs are not used in the arena they were specifically bred for then there is a point where they will fail, and dogs bred for that purpose will succeed.

    I own Cockers and labs, a GWP and a Hanoverien Scenthound. Every one was bred for a specific purpose, the labs for retrieving, the Cockers for hunting the GWP a bit of everything, and the HS for tracking wounded deer. My HS brings stuff back to me, the cocker retrieves as well, the lab hunts heavy cover...... But not as well as each of the dogs bred for each purpose.

    I don't think anyone has said a spaniel is too mad to be used on deer. I think they are very clever wee dogs. Its their manner of working/hunting that I don't think is ideal for deer. Nor asking them to sit still for 2hrs under a highseat.

    However, the question was is it possible to use them on deer? the answer is obviously yes. Are they the best breed for that purpose? The answer is no. because at some point they will fail on a track where other breeds will succeed.

    Casting a dog off to hunt wild across a field for a deer lying there dead will not be a problem for a cocker. Asking it to follow a lengthy trail without blood over several hours and considerable distance I think eventually will be.

    Good luck regardless, great wee dogs...
    I used a cocker for several years and agree with every word of Jamross's post.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Cocker Spaniel Puppies
    By james243 in forum Dogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 16:42
  2. For Sale Cocker Spaniel Pup.
    By Moonraker68 in forum Dogs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-08-2011, 14:20
  3. For Sale Cocker Spaniel Puppies
    By Quercus in forum Dogs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-08-2011, 12:20
  4. For Sale Cocker Spaniel pups.
    By 8x57 in forum Dogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2011, 17:47
  5. cocker spaniel puppy
    By deerhunter270 in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 11:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •