Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Variation Rimfire

Variation Rimfire

I have aplied for a .22 rimfire, I see guns advertised .22 LR does this come under the licence.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpyfishing View Post
    I have aplied for a .22 rimfire, I see guns advertised .22 LR does this come under the licence.
    Yes mate and if you really want to push your luck so does 22wmr technically, but your firearms dept may not agree with this, i had no problems in Wiltshire
    Geordie

Stumpy, I'm a little bit worried that you have applied for a firearm and you don't know the different types. The .22LR will be what the FLD probably intended. It stands for "long rifle" and is the most popular metallic cartridge of them all.

In theory a .22WMR is a rimfire (well, by definition it is, it stands for Winchester Magnum Rimfire) but the WMR carries three times the energy (at least) of the LR, so is a totally different kettle of fish.

So, for your .22 rimfire slot, you can buy anything called a .22LR or .22 long rifle.

I dont agree Matt,
    i shoot a WMR and it is definetely a rimfire, and i purchased it on a .22 rimfire authority.
    When i enquired with my licensing office they said no problem because 22wmr is classed as a .22 rimfire.
    However one local RFD would not sell me a 22WMR on that rimfire authority even though i told them to ring the office as they said it was okay, so another RFD obliged without a second muttering.
    My licensing office states that with a .22 rimfire authority you can purchase any rifle/cartridge that is .22 and has rimfire ignition.

Ian.

Have just had a variation for a Sako quad in .22 LR and .22WMR barrels and a .22 LR RIFLE (CZ) have had to be specific on all three before variation sent out ?

Probably down to ammo speed ? doesn't really matter, only paperwork after all

With North Yorks I asked for and was granted .22RF. My RFD would have sold me any .22 rimfire.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post

.22WMR is a rimfire (well, by definition it is, it stands for Winchester Magnum Rimfire)
    yep its a 22 rimfire thats it and all about it

I have all the rimfires for the Sako quad
    they are all detailed in full
    LR, WMR, M2, HMR

I would think the ability to buy a WMR on a ".22 rimfire" is extremely slack on behalf of the RFD and the issuing force.

Would they sell a .17 fireball to someone with .17 on their ticket?
    Thats what mine said until I pointed it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

I would think the ability to buy a WMR on a ".22 rimfire" is extremely slack on behalf of the RFD and the issuing force.

Would they sell a .17 fireball to someone with .17 on their ticket?
    Thats what mine said until I pointed it out!
    Whats slack about it bewsher, your argument falls because the same applies to 22LR, i could say the same as you and it would be equally valid.
    "I would think the ability to buy a LR on a ".22 rimfire" is extremely slack on behalf of the RFD and the issuing force"
    If anything i would say that the .22LR is even more of a slack idea as nowhere in its title does it mention that it is a rimfire.
    Both the .22LR and .22WMR have rimfire ignition and as such are categorised as .22 Rimfires, the same goes for CB shorts, CB longs, 22 Short, 22 long and .22 shotshell they are all .22 rimfires.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Whats slack about it bewsher, your argument falls because the same applies to 22LR, i could say the same as you and it would be equally valid.
    "I would think the ability to buy a LR on a ".22 rimfire" is extremely slack on behalf of the RFD and the issuing force"
    If anything i would say that the .22LR is even more of a slack idea as nowhere in its title does it mention that it is a rimfire.
    Both the .22LR and .22WMR have rimfire ignition and as such are categorised as .22 Rimfires, the same goes for CB shorts, CB longs, 22 Short, 22 long and .22 shotshell they are all .22 rimfires.

Ian.
    not really

.22lr can ONLY be a rimfire (The "Long Rifle" is the indicator as to case size as HMR or WMR is in the other sizes)
    anything in a LR case (CB shorts, CB longs, 22 Short, 22 long and .22 shotshell) or smaller is generally regarded as a .22lr as they all derive from the same case (or similar) and unless someone can prove otherwise I am unaware of any rifle that is now chambered specifically for CB shorts or any other derivation of the .22lr case?
    they all get fired from .22lr chambered rifles.

.22WMR is not the same case and requires a totally different chambering, the case is larger than the bullet diameter
    .22LR has an oustide case diameter the same as the .224(.222 in some cases) bullet that is narrower below the crimp.

if it just said .22 with no case variant description it would be even slacker as it would by defailt include .22-250 etc etc .22 centrefires