Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: new rifle wanted in .243

  1. #1

    new rifle wanted in .243

    hello, i am on the look out for a stainless/synthetic .243, iv been looking at the tikkas but iv also seen alot of remmys and x-bolts about, is there any advantages to any of these rifles in particular apart from the name? the rifle will be a work horse. im not looking for something pretty just something that rugged and accurate if well maintained, ideally i would like to post a wanted post but unfortunately i do not have enough posts to do so, i have been a member for a while i just do not feel like i have enough knowledge to contribute much at the moment so dont post alot, if anyone has anything that would be suitable weather its just a rifle or a full set up please let me know,
    thanks

    Tom

  2. #2
    Tom I would go for the tikka . Have a look on guntrader

    ATB Steve

  3. #3
    Tom

    In somewhat reverse order - fully understand reluctance to post/ knowledge issue - but contributing is just that; everyone has something useful to put in the pot. Many of the newcomers we recommend to join feel a bit put off by the knowledge side of things.

    However, the views, interests and thoughts of newcomers are just as valid and important overall as anyone else's - in fact I know a somewhat large silent minority would like to see more inclusion of exactly those type of views. Additionally, as you spend time on here, you will begin to suspect that for a number of members the cloak of knowledge is quite illusory ( I include myself )

    Rifle wise ( and biased as we are RFDs ) Tikka would get my vote. Each have their devotees and a rifle is a highly personal item. Your confidence in it is what matters most. But long experience has shown the Tikka to be a good reliable performer - hitting your term 'workhorse' rather nicely. Try handling each of your possible choices - some will just feel right, some wont.

    Depending upon budget, SAKO is my personal favourite. Have a look at JACKFISH's recent post. He handled a T3 and without firing a shot just felt it didn't ring his bell. The SAKO 85 just called to him - though I would never recommend going as far as the frankly unnatural er 'bond' he has developed for it

    Good luck - let us know how you get on.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017




  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Depending upon budget, SAKO is my personal favourite. Have a look at JACKFISH's recent post. He handled a T3 and without firing a shot just felt it didn't ring his bell. The SAKO 85 just called to him - though I would never recommend going as far as the frankly unnatural er 'bond' he has developed for it
    Good luck - let us know how you get on.
    Tom

    I can highly recommend the Sako85 s/s, it's one hell of a rifle and superbly accurate straight out of the box and as Andy say's the T3 lite just didn't feel right for me and I never even fired a shot.
    All down to personal choice and budget at the end of the day though but I'm glad I went the extra few quid and chose the Sako..

    Yes Andy, it's safe to say we have bonded...

    Good luck with whatever you choose Tom!

    Bryan


    Alba gu brąth

    Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under
    .

  5. #5
    Adding to this:-

    if the rifle does not fit and feel comfortable you simply will not shoot as well as you could with it. this is more so with a stalking/hunting rifle than say a bench rest or target rifle where one can take time and wiggle about to get the head just so etc.

    On the stalking rifle when one mounts the rifle to the shoulder the head should be in the right place to see right through the sights without having to go "hunting" for them.

  6. #6
    tikka t3 supper varmint buy gun shoot gun enjoy remington buy gun buy parts trigger stock magasine mounts etc and i know there are a lot of remington shooters out there but they dont come close to tikka sorrey and i have a remington in 7mm rem mag good round hate the gun crap compared to tikka and its a rem police 26in barrel h/s stock etc stock was designed by a moron and the black finish is total pants turns white when you fire the gun trigger is hit and miss bolt is roughf as a b bum compared to tikka shoots eney round where you want from the start no you dont have to have it ree crowned as the lads from remington do it with a pen knife me thinks just my two sents i may be dislexic but i know a good gun when i see it tikka

  7. #7
    i got a sako 75 in 243 you are welcome to come and have a go on it if you aint too far away

  8. #8
    Df ( and admin ) - for all the occasional negativity, its posts like the one above that makes SD. Well done.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017




  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Df ( and admin ) - for all the occasional negativity, its posts like the one above that makes SD. Well done.
    thankyou just trying to return somthing for all the kind help and advice that i have recieved on SD its nice to know
    that if one is stuck theres help and advice out there .......always somthing to learn no matter how long weve been at it

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    hello, i am on the look out for a stainless/synthetic .243, iv been looking at the tikkas but iv also seen alot of remmys and x-bolts about, is there any advantages to any of these rifles in particular apart from the name? the rifle will be a work horse. im not looking for something pretty just something that rugged and accurate if well maintained, ideally i would like to post a wanted post but unfortunately i do not have enough posts to do so, i have been a member for a while i just do not feel like i have enough knowledge to contribute much at the moment so dont post alot, if anyone has anything that would be suitable weather its just a rifle or a full set up please let me know,
    thanks

    Tom
    Tom, don't worry about not posting because of inexperience - it doesn't stop me. You also soon learn what is fact and what is fiction anyway - as MorayOutfitting so eloquently stated.
    Seriously though - there is an enormous amount of good information and advice on here, with an element of anonimity behind you there is no such thing as a silly question as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Virbius; 25-06-2012 at 20:12.

Similar Threads

  1. .243 Rifle with mod and scope Wanted
    By lascelles in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-01-2012, 18:53
  2. Wanted .243 rifle
    By gavaroo in forum Firearms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 21:58
  3. Wanted Wanted .243 beginner rifle .... for a lefty.
    By TokaS in forum Firearms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 21:37
  4. Wanted...0.243 rifle (and scope)
    By crt in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-02-2010, 11:09
  5. Rifle wanted 243 or 308
    By legaleagle69 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-01-2008, 11:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •