Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting test assessment

Shooting test assessment

How many people would have passed there D S C 1 shooting test if the assessment zone had been 50mm instead of 100mm.
    When I took mine I would say 50% on that course would not have and that was after three attempts
    Last edited by martyn52; 25-06-2012 at 11:40.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by martyn52 View Post
    How many people would have passed there D S C 1 shooting test if the assessment zone had been 50mm instead of 100mm.
    When I took mine I would say 50% on that course would not have and that was after three attempts
    But, in fairness, I'd imagine the majority of DSC1 candidates will be using factory ammo.... and.... are not used to shooting in company (particularly in such competitive company). So, perhaps it's not so much a reflection on a lack of skill as a lack of fine tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    But, in fairness, I'd imagine the majority of DSC1 candidates will be using factory ammo.... and.... are not used to shooting in company (particularly in such competitive company). So, perhaps it's not so much a reflection on a lack of skill as a lack of fine tuning.
    50mm should still be achievable on a VERY consistent basis with factory ammo/a rifle you are not used to/under pressure. Having said that, I would have dropped one on mine (out of 50mm) (on the sillouette) - lack of focus on the second sitting shot.

DSC1 is a basic course / qualification & the training centres on humane kills - This means heart / lung shots not on shooting "balls off a fly" style head shots.
    A 100mm group is fine for the qualification and the test should stay as it is.
    Of course with practice and a good ammunition / rifle combination, smaller groups are possible by most people, and everyone should strive to improve. - It's a bit like the driving test - you only really learn how to drive after passing your test!
    Personally I'd prefer to see a pre-qualification shooting day as part of the training. It's a pain if the course test day has lots of candidates & half of them are totally inexperienced. Then time pressure is added to the already pressured atmosphere of the course / test environment.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by martyn52 View Post
    Who needs 50mm? Get yourself a Blaser, 25mm will do!
    Last edited by timbrayford; 25-06-2012 at 12:22.

I'm actually NOT looking forward to that bit of the DSC . Stage fright is a terrible thing! And you KNOW everyone will be watching and commenting on your skill or lack thereof

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    I'm actually NOT looking forward to that bit of the DSC . Stage fright is a terrible thing! And you KNOW everyone will be watching and commenting on your skill or lack thereof
    Depends on how good you assessor is! I found mine a doddle and was totally at ease despite being in quite a large group of people!

End of the day you have to remember they want you to pass and so does every one else there on the day!

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Who needs 50mm? Get yourself a Blaser, 25mm will do!
    "Aint that the truth!"
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

When I did mine, one shooter kept hitting my target, so 100mm wasnt even on the cards.

We find the shooting test element tends to cause the most stress & worry.

Human beings that we are ( mostly ) the level of pressure felt and how it affects the person is a very individual thing. As a mechanical test the 100mm zero target is not that difficult as a function of the rifle/scope/ammo. It is the human element that counts and that is the one that suffers!

As has been pointed out already, the DSC1 shooting test was developed to test stalking accuracy on a practical basis, not a benchrest competition. The person who can hit within 2 inches of their aiming point time after time - under field conditions will ultimately bring home more venison than the guy producing .075" groups from the bench with a crew served shooting machine. No criticism implied or intended in either direction - its about the ultimate purpose.

The stress element is greatly over-looked in many comments about the shooting test. Approaches amongst Assessors/ Trainer vary - but the best have this factor in mind always and do all that they practically can to mitigate it. The format is often dictated by the facilities, but some do it one on one, some in groups. If it's an issue for you, put it on your list of questions to ask when speaking with your test centre. Performing in a large group is not part of the assessment criteria!

Everyone who has been with us in the last few years will have heard my story ( a. its the truth and b. I really do have a very limited range of script material ) - we had a soon to retire police firearms officer. Not your common-or-garden variety, but one who had done SB Anti Terrorist work, Royal Protection etc. His last round successfully down range - and passing the test - he showed clear and I shook his hand. He actually turned grey and just managed to utter ' @uck me, those were the hardest 9 rounds of my entire life... and on the friendliest range!' Once squared away, he asked to be left alone for a bit and went to have a lie down in the heather for 20 minutes.

I have had countless people that I know can turn in sub inch groups, but on THE DAY struggled to keep them in that 4" ring. Some people thrive on the stress, most don't. It's life, not anything to over worry.

If any element of the DSC1 process is concerning you, don't ever hesitate to pick up the phone or e mail etc your training provider - you are not weird nor by a long, long way the only one.

Of course if you really want to pile on the stress you could try using a Blaser
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017