Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .375 h&h vs Red Deer Stag

.375 h&h vs Red Deer Stag

Right, before the firgers start pointing the cull is legit on an out of season authority because of damage, it's a management cull.

So, I've never shot deer with a .375 but I've had the open cert for a while now, infact i've never actually killed anything with my new one until last night despite a chance at a jackel and boar in Bulgaria last season. The last few reds I've shot with the .308 made respectable runs and since the chance presented itself to take the 'big' rifle out and compare I had an urge to see what 250 grains at .308 velocity with a 9.5mm diameter would do to a large deer.

Now luck beats skill and I was quite lucky last night and walked right into a beast grazing away at 60 meters ish facing away, so up with sticks and round it came a few moments later. Making sure the shot was fair for comparison with my .308 chest shots I let go square of the forward chest and boy did that deer crumble when the bullet hit, it was able to stagger off about 20 meters and was visibly far more crunched following the shot compared to hits from the .308

On inspection the top of the heart was mushed along with a large proportion of the upper lungs, the exit was a nice inch diameter and a significant blood trail was evident from hit to fall. I know shoulder shots flatten them but meat damage is something I hate.

My conclusion was as I expected, chest shot deer with 3 or more legs still run even when smashed with big hits. Tut damn oh well

Go on get yourself a 50 cal,if that don't drop them on the spot nothing will

I'm thinking that it might just be a bit big for munjac

They can be lost regardless of the calibre, had a client two years ago with ,375 h&h first two stags no problem
    third took off in spite definite hit, low chest suspected and despite a follow up including the use of a dog it was never found

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Go on get yourself a 50 cal,if that don't drop them on the spot nothing will
    Do the job properly, buy once and cry once, get a 243, you'll never need another calibre!

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Do the job properly, buy once and cry once, get a 243, you'll never need another calibre!
    Most guys I know wouldn't want to pish with a one inch cock if they could have bigger .243 is a roe calibre at best sorry guys but it is. You won't find a chest shot red, sika or fallow close you where you shot it with with one. Step up to a 6.5x55 and that's a beast though.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Most guys I know wouldn't want to pish with a one inch cock if they could have bigger .243 is a roe calibre at best sorry guys but it is. You won't find a chest shot red, sika or fallow close you where you shot it with with one. Step up to a 6.5x55 and that's a beast though.
    243 is fine on Red hinds and Fallow. Not every deer will instantly hit the deck even with a perfect heart shot. I once chased a stag for around 1.5 miles with the bottom of his heart smashed. The guest was using a .300win.

I don't let guests chest shoot reds or sika with a .243, I can't be arsed to get the dog when they f off into the thick spruce so it's through the shoulders. Why chase a stag with the chest punched, sit back glass and wait or send another round to speed up the process.

I want a deer with my 9.3
    well done mate we will see what it does on them moose in november.