Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skull prep

Skull prep

Hi all I am having trouble with my skull prep, I keep braking off the naisle cavity when sawing!
    Shoot deer
    Skin and clean
    Boil
    ..saw..
    Bleach
    Mount

Am I doing it in the wrong order! Do I need to let dry after boiling? Also the saw with the set is poo! What are you using!!!!

Many thanks chaps stu...

right order for me ,never let the skull dry out for best results ie straight from hot into cold after boil then pressure wash then cut then bleach i use a stanley wood saw and i dont go as far into the skull as you have been ,i basically just cut the teeth off and expose the brain cavity ,sounds easy but i did ==== a few up when i first started

edit the reason i dont let it dry out is i find the bleach takes better ,i dont go at the cutting like a demented navvy take yr time!
    Last edited by norma 308; 25-06-2012 at 19:24.

You either need to cut the skull before boiling, or clean it off full skull and let it dry out before cutting. If you cut a wet skull the plate joints are not hard and will give way around the nose area.

Quote Originally Posted by mj robson View Post
    You either need to cut the skull before boiling, or clean it off full skull and let it dry out before cutting. If you cut a wet skull the plate joints are not hard and will give way around the nose area.
    Cut before you boil, that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by speedystu View Post
    Hi all I am having trouble with my skull prep, I keep braking off the naisle cavity when sawing!
    Same here

Attachment 16847
    Last edited by Si; 25-06-2012 at 19:40.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Anyone on here like to put up a do it this way, from boiling to colouring (as 2 of mine fell into the pot) I have just done four heads and they are all different in coluration and skull depth and non excistent nose on some

Quote Originally Posted by mj robson View Post
    Exactly cut before you boil or leave full skull

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Anyone on here like to put up a do it this way, from boiling to colouring (as 2 of mine fell into the pot) I have just done four heads and they are all different in coluration and skull depth and non excistent nose on some
    Already done if you search Jelen have done a video of how to do it, someone also did a very good write up on it that was in the write up section I think, if you use the the search facility you should be able to find it.

I'm no expert but I put out good work on skull cuts. I peel off all skin and flesh, then remove the jaws and tongue, etc. then I cut the first 2-3" with the saw from the 'kit', which I then replace with a heavier saw for wood (which cuts faster), when I'm about 5cm from the end I switch to the blade of a steel saw (you know, the long thin bendy blades with small teeth), which means the nose does not break off, and it leaves nice clean edges.

I then scrape out all I can manuall from the insides, including eyes.

I then boil 10mins, scrape, clean, etc.

boil another 10 minutes, finish clean, scrape with knife blade, and then use a brass brush at the end (softish).

then I put under a hose on full power (not pressure washer).

works for me every time in under 1hr.

I then leave 24hrs covered in cotton wool soaked in 30% Hydrogen Peroxide sourced from ebay

Edit: I find a narrow chisel good for getting in under the coronets.

If you leave the skin fairly long around the pedicles and grab it with a set of long nose pliers and twist it the skin will come off and leave a perfect clean pedicle.