Thread: William Atkinson side-by-side - anyone familiar?

William Atkinson side-by-side - anyone familiar?

I've seen a rather nice William Atkinson sbs in 20bore. It isn't a name that I am familiar with, does anyone have any information or experience of this maker?

Chances are that like just about all side by side from small makers it will be a Birmingham trade gun underneath, supplied in the white for a local gunshop to finish for his customer. Indeed many were supplied finished but with the vendors name on it. Have a look through auction catalogue and will similar guns all with different names. Even the big London names bought in components or near finished box locks. I have a 410 side by side by wj Jeffrey that is identical to several I have seen with other names on them. Most were made by Webly & Scott.

Check for any looseness. Remove for end and check for any rattling. (actions can be tightened - cost 300) more important are the barrels and barrel wall thickness. If its been reproofed chances are they have been cleaned up at some time. Stock condition - check for cracks etc. most important is does it fit.

ATKINSON WILLIAM SHOTGUN
    hE WAS A GUNMAKER IN LANCASTER ENGLAND 1881-1901
    THERE WERE SEVERAL GUN AND TACKLE MAKERS LISTED WITH THE ATKINSON NAME SOME AS EARLY AS 1840 regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA