Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bargain of the millenium

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Bargain of the millenium

Just looking through the Bush Wear catalogue.

I must say 124.99 for Scent Shoes

I wish I had designed them and then patented them.....

Surely a broom stick with string hanging from it, then the hoofs tied to it is a better idea, for one, the dog will not be following your scent.

I certinally wouldn't be parting with the money, even if I had it.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

That is the funniest thing I have seen in ages..........Wonder if they sell well!
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Ok guys, they are expensive but some are available for around 60

Look at it this way. Some folk including me, think they are necessary to properly train a deer dog to be able to follow a track over a kilometre. They will be used almost weekly and for several dogs over years.

A dummy launcher and half a dozen canvas dummies which I own would now cost more than the scent shoes. My dummies have been used for several gundogs in their training. Well worth the investment over 20 years ago.

So, what's the difference, both tools used for different disciplines?

TJ, the reason that the feet hung from string would not work eventually, is because on a track 2 or 3 days old they're has to be weight to the footprint so that the bacterial reaction caused by the degradation of soil and plant matter occurs. You would not get that by simply dragging a foot or piece of skin across the grass or other vegetation. Yes, a scent would be left but it would not last as long or replicate the scent caused by a deer walking across ground.

the continentals have been using scent shoes for decades in an effort to replicate the track and scent left by game animals. I would have agreed with you, before I read up on training a scenthound and being taught by those who use them...

JR

Pardon my ignorance but how do you know the dog doesn't just follow the scent from the shoe itself i.e. the crushed vegetation? Has this factor been scientifically eliminated?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Homes View Post
    JR

Pardon my ignorance but how do you know the dog doesn't just follow the scent from the shoe itself i.e. the crushed vegetation? Has this factor been scientifically eliminated?

Frank
    Frank

I do not profess to be an expert, far from it. I will try and condense an answer from looking back through Syrotuck's book, Scent and the Scenting Dog.

I also popped on a post recently written by John Jeanneney, about tracking without blood. It touches on how the dog locks on to the scent of the deer foot and will ignore other tracks laid by the owner walking deliberately across the already laid track, thereby leaving a tempting fresher one of the dogs owners scent. The dog will still continue on the original track that has the cleave scent on it. At least a trained dog will!
    Last edited by jamross65; 25-06-2012 at 23:45.

Spot on Jamross.A dog will use a combination of scent to track.
    Vegetative degradation giving differing amounts of ammonia off
    Cleave scent reacting with the soil and bacteria multiplying and giving of differing scents
    If blood present again degradation and bacteria present being tracked
    Rafts present are also subject to all of the above
    A trained tracking dog will manage to single out one or all of the above or a combination of all of the above.
    Then factor in different scenting conditions and different terrain and different times of the day as well.
    It takes a while to train a tracking dog through all these eventualities
    PS Frank ask how police dogs follow criminals in town/on concrete,where is the vegetation?
    Scent hounds can track on bare soil and solid rock
    Last edited by Wolverine; 25-06-2012 at 23:48.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Homes View Post
    JR

Frank
    This article in particular may help to point out why shoes are necessary and how a dog uses scent.

Tracking Without Blood

how do you track deer like these?Attachment 16875

AH! and you can end up with one of these!
    Attachment 16877